Internet provider in legal victory

jase

Inactive User
Reaction score
its a start :)

Internet provider in legal victory - Yahoo! News UK

One of Ireland's largest internet providers has scored a landmark victory against record labels over illegal music downloads. Skip related content

RELATED PHOTOS / VIDEOS
Internet provider in legal victory
Enlarge photo
Four powerful industry firms - Warner Music, Universal Music, Sony BMG and EMI Records - pushed for a "three strikes and you're out" rule to stop massive piracy by UPC customers. But the High Court in Dublin ruled that laws to identify and cut-off internet users illegally copying music files were not enforceable in Ireland.

The decision may have serious implications for an out-of-court agreement the record labels secured with broadband provider Eircom last year.

It is understood Vodafone and Meteor are in talks over the threat of illegal downloads while O2 and 3 Ireland were also awaiting the outcome of the case.

Mr Justice Peter Charleton warned that the business of recording companies was being devastated by internet piracy.

"This not only undermines their business but ruins the ability of a generation of creative people in Ireland, and elsewhere, to establish a viable living. It is destructive of an important native industry," he said.

But the judge said laws were not in place in Ireland to enforce disconnections over illegal downloads despite the record companies' complaints being merited. He also said this gap in legislation meant Ireland was not complying with European law.

He said a substantial portion of UPC's 150,000 customers were illegally downloading music.

UPC said it would work with all parties to identify and address main areas of concern over downloads. A spokesman said: "UPC has repeatedly stressed that it does not condone piracy and has always taken a strong stance against illegal activity on its network."

The four music labels have seen sales fall by 64 million euro from 2005 to 2009.

regards
jase

and i`m sure if everyone stopped downloading music illegally then they would volutarily drop the price of the albums, car tax would be cheaper if everyone paid it, insurance would be next to nothing if everyone had it, computer games would be 10p each if everyone bought originals, and your premiums would not go up if no one made false claims.......................................did i also mention the popes jewish?

it's record companies profits and shareholders that have lost out, not always the artists.

they've milked it for years having total monopoly over money paid to artists and now they're stuggling to keep their strangle hold.......

if i like something good enough, then i buy it. maybe they should concentrate on putting quality out and not just quantity that no-one buys or is forgotten...

It makes me laugh.

They say piracy hits the games industry hard too.

Halo reach only made $200,000,000 on the first day shame.

Back