installing windows

sparky66

Inactive User
Reaction score
yous guys have helped me in the past so im back for more help,,,,,a mate brought his lappy up tonite,,,,he says he wiped the hard drive using ultimate boot cd(BOOT AND NUKE)...dont no wot that is and i dont want to,,,,he asked me to install windows xp in it,,,i said no probs,,,ive been tryin to install it for the last 5 hours now and i keep hittin a brick wall, the xp disc isnt loadin at all, all im getting is a black screen with a flashing cursor,,,can anybody tell me wot im doin wrong, thanks in advance guys

1st have u changed the boot order , if not change it to boot from cd/dvd , sounds like its having troble reading the xp disc have u used the disk before

yeah mate used the disk a few times, its hooky but it works fine, a used it in my own comp, wot do u mean by changin the cd/dvd????....wen i go into bios, do i go to boot?

yeah mate used the disk a few times, its hooky but it works fine, a used it in my own comp, wot do u mean by changin the cd/dvd????....wen i go into bios, do i go to boot?

When in the bios change the boot order, so that the laptop boots from the CD/DVD as opposed to the hard drive or IDE 0, it might be under the heading "boot priority" or "boot order" or something like that, once you have it up and running change it back so IDE 0 or hard disk is the first boot device.

guys a think im missing somethin here, ive tried wot both of u has said but i cant seem to change the boot device, heres 2 pics of the bios...the 1st one is ADVANCED and the 2nd one is BOOT...cheer for helping me with this lads.

the second pic seems about right. its what turns on first in the computer. you want the cd/dvd rom to turn on first. if that doesnt work, i'd try a different cd. also, make sure you are not missing the "Press any key to boot from cd-rom" message.

thanks guys, a got it sorted, only ive got another wee problem,,,,the shutdown and run buttons have dissapeared from the start menu, wen press the windows key and r to get the run box up its sayin "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. please contact your system administrator" now this has got me totally confused, it was bad enuf tryin to reinstall windows.....lol

Can you still get to run by WinKey+R? If you can, to get run back, just right-click the taskbar and select properties. Then click the Start Menu tab, and click Customize. In there, check "Display Run" and say ok.

Back