Ics/Network once again ????? AHHHHHHHHHHH

Wiz

Senior Member +
Reaction score
Ok,

I had ICS all set up thru my Laptop at home, all was working ok, However,

Now i have broadband installed thru another base unit and this is the thing, how do redirect the whole thing so the b/b connection is the main internet connection but still keeping the dial up on the laptop.

I seem to have all connections in place and the network works......when it wants to...... :) However, no other base units on network can browse internet via int explorer - even laptop??????????

Regards

@MH, I have a strange setup, used to have internet on Lappy(Dial Up), now got b/b on a base unit, + 2 other base units.

Want to keep dial up on Lappy for emer - B/B wise, have got b/b to lappy but no other base unit and as for Network, Lappy is seen by base units and vise versa except unit with b/b.

doin me head in???

Regards

I'm thinkin it's prob to do with the setup of clients/tcp-ip/file sharing etc in prop on connections, combined with ip addy's/gateway's etc (basically what needs to be enabled and diabled to get b/b and network working in harmony). As i did have b/b working on lappy b4 i tried sorting out network.....then i lost the lot........:-(

Regards

Ok quick update......have re- established b/b conn to Laptop but still no file share??? File and Print disabled on b/b machine for ob reasons...do i need to re-enable for to work????

Regards

are all your machines xp ?

if so then start from scratch

goto your main machine with the BB go into setup a small home or office connection... along the way choose your BB conection you want to share... then enter your workgroup (normally MSHOME... you can change it to something else but you must remember it)

make a network startup disk goto all other machines and run the disk... should be all installed in a 10 mins ;)

reboot all machines after the install even if they dont need to be !

now install your dialup account on lappy (if its already installed ... leave it) now on lappy goto a web page and goto the top menu /tools/internet options/connections/ and change it to dial whenever a network connection is not present ;)

should get you going but remember this is windows and anything is possible :(

perhaps that the key mickiem i'm not making a disk to run on other machines(never had to when setting up other networks), but myb it's losing something in translation. Can't understand why i can share b/b to all machines...but they can't c each other any more via my network etc???

Regards

tell me what protocals are installed on the other base unit and the lappy

they are all the same then ?

i hate fooking ICS i cant get a windows98 machine to see a WINXP but the *******s will use the internet ?

anyway sorry rodhale im out of ideas i was thinking you might have the protocals all different but if they are the same ????

hopefully someone else will know the answer.... one last thing is check you are all using the same logon client ?

Mickie D said:
they are all the same then ?

i hate fooking ICS i cant get a windows98 machine to see a WINXP but the *******s will use the internet ?

anyway sorry rodhale im out of ideas i was thinking you might have the protocals all different but if they are the same ????

hopefully someone else will know the answer.... one last thing is check you are all using the same logon client ?

Cheers 4 trying m8, iv'e just seen that when i lost the lot the night before last, it also knocked shareing on the drives on the b/b unit, so maybe when it's sorted out the folder permissions(had to leave it going to get to work DOH:-( ), it just might be sorted - you never know :). Maybe :) LOL :) :)

Regards

Don't say that m8 - i was hoping one of those might sort out me prob?? ICS worked for me too m8 when the Lappy was providing the internet on dial up. Gotta say me b/b is pretty good.

It runs thru everything pretty well, gets me to select which adap for b/b sharing and network, i put in name for base unit etc, network name(mshome), the only thing is i don't select to make a disk - i pick just finish wizard.

Regards

Yeah but if you use the same settings on each machine then you dont need to make a disk, think thats for if you wanna put it on a 98 machine that does not have the wizard already there....

Are you running wizards with your firewalls off including xp ones.... ?

Dutcho said:
Yeah but if you use the same settings on each machine then you dont need to make a disk, think thats for if you wanna put it on a 98 machine that does not have the wizard already there....

Are you running wizards with your firewalls off including xp ones.... ?

Nope, all fiewwalls on???

It's nearly all sorted, the only thing i can't get is any of my machines to see the machine with b/b, and the only thing diff on that one is client and file and pprint sharing are unchecked foe security??

Do you recon it's that m8???

Blocked....C: shared G:Shared on b/b base and nothing...other machines on my network are fine, all see each other -- even me lappy and that's only got feckin XP Home.....bloody microcrap ????

Back