I really want a Mac but FFS

check out this forum its dedicated to osx86 everything you need to know is on there
InsanelyMac Forum -> OSx86 10.5 (Leopard)
here is my setup working 100%
motherboard gigabyte ga-945gcm-s2l
cpu intel core 2 duo 2.5ghz overclocked to 3.17ghz
2gb ram
nvidia nx8800gt 512mb graphics card
used kalayway 10.5.2 to install
then updated to 10.5.5 with the 10.5.5 combo update package

Cheers mate. It is an Optiplex - I'll give that a go. Any thoughts on how to get the Broadcom NetXtreme Ethernet adaptor working?

View attachment 45993

Change/Add device into the Info.plist by right clicking AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext and then "show package contents". double click contents then info.plist. Search for IONameMatch and add in your devices details so it looks like

"<string>pcixxxx,xxxx</string>"

Save it
copy the modified extension into /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins

open terminal and run

sudo -s (it should ask for your password)
cd /
cd /System/Library/Extensions/
ln -s IONetworkingFamily.kext com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily.kext

rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions
kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

reboot and hopefully it will work. You should be able to find the device/vendor id's in the device manager in windows.

Cheers mate. It is an Optiplex - I'll give that a go. Any thoughts on how to get the Broadcom NetXtreme Ethernet adaptor working?

You should be able to boot from the DVD again, but this time, uncheck EVERYTHING apart from Drivers - Network - Broadcom 440x

I wasn't going to upload this image, but decided it's give people a better idea of what's in the options screen when installing the OS.

Different distro's differ :)

picture1od1.png

You should be able to boot from the DVD again, but this time, uncheck EVERYTHING apart from Drivers - Network - Broadcom 440x

I wasn't going to upload this image, but decided it's give people a better idea of what's in the options screen when installing the OS.

Different distro's differ :)

I used the Broadcom 440x driver but it didn't work

No worries, i can't take all the credit for it though, I just copied a post from another forum and made it easier to read.

can i have link too.. im downloading a version atm but want to make sure i get it right this time.. :) cheers

I know the purists don't approve but if you have compatable hardware OSx86 is well worth the effort, No it's not a real mac but it works just like one for a quarter of the cost.

I used iAtkos v5i as previously mentioned here (h**p://iatkos.wikidot.com/) on my £150 aspire one, intel atom 1.5gb Ram, dual booting with XP. Wireless is the only issue (new card as previoulsy mentioned here solves that). OS does take a bit of fiddling to install correctly but there is plenty of help out there.

Been a pleasure to use and has given me the best of both worlds.

I know the purists don't approve but if you have compatable hardware OSx86 is well worth the effort, No it's not a real mac but it works just like one for a quarter of the cost.

I used iAtkos v5i as previously mentioned here (h**p://iatkos.wikidot.com/) on my £150 aspire one, intel atom 1.5gb Ram, dual booting with XP. Wireless is the only issue (new card as previoulsy mentioned here solves that). OS does take a bit of fiddling to install correctly but there is plenty of help out there.

Been a pleasure to use and has given me the best of both worlds.

Are you sure you have not stole my netbook :)

But I used IPC, very easy install, a couple of kexts and your done!

Are you sure you have not stole my netbook :)

But I used IPC, very easy install, a couple of kexts and your done!

I will if u give me half a chance :)

I could've sold dozens, everyone thats seen it luv's it and wants one, the look on their face when I tell them it was only one n half.

oh dear :Laugh: Ive run the iAtkos 5i install and it has installed OK - then on the reboot it only boots to the grey apple logo and falls into a boot/reset cycle.

What do I need to be checking/unchecking to avoid this

oh dear :Laugh: Ive run the iAtkos 5i install and it has installed OK - then on the reboot it only boots to the grey apple logo and falls into a boot/reset cycle.

boot with -v, to see where it hangs

Did you do a customized install and select the required drivers?

boot with -v, to see where it hangs
tried that - it dosent display any output on the screen - just does the same. I tried -v on the dvd boot to test and i get all kinds of output there
Did you do a customized install and select the required drivers?
I read the warning and selected the options I thought applicable to my setup. I have only attempted the 2nd bootloader(cant remember the name) not the 1st, ill have a go at the second this evening

have you tried booting with platform=x86pc, platform=acpi or cpus=1? either of these might help

Last edited:
Back