I really want a Mac but FFS

thanks guys - not sure what made it work but 7 installs and its running - sound works too, but not wireless :) can anyone recommend a laptop wireless card that will be compatible?

ps yay I have a mac!! lol

thanks guys - not sure what made it work but 7 installs and its running - sound works too, but not wireless :) can anyone recommend a laptop wireless card that will be compatible?

ps yay I have a mac!! lol

dell 1390 should be ok, do you have QE working?

qe quartz extreme and ci core image
to check click the apple logo up the top left screen then click on about this mac then click more info
then go down to graphics/dispalys
will look something like this

Chipset Model: Graphics by NVIDIA
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0611
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: NVinject 0.2.1
Displays:
Hanns.G HG281:
Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Rotation: Supported
Television: Yes
Display Connector:

you need core image to say hardware accelerated and quartz extreme to say supported to be working properly

is it possible to multi boot xp, linux and mac os from the same hard drive?

i'm dual booting xp and mandriva at the moment but I quite fancy trying this leopard fella.

uh oh! thanks for that info heres mine

Display:
Resolution: 1024 x 768
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Software
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

seems fast as fook though! what am i losing out on here?

is it possible to multi boot xp, linux and mac os from the same hard drive?

It is indeed.

Google for "triple boot leopard", it should throw up a stack of results.

I'd recommend grabbing a spare HD first & trying to install it on that first, rather than overcomplicating things by installing the three OS's on the same drive.

I haven't done it myself, as I thought it might be a bit overambitious :)

Agree, Hackintosh computers are fine speedwise, just expect to install a few times to get it right and if you have any non standard hardware you may not get this working at all.

You should be able to boot from the DVD again, but this time, uncheck EVERYTHING apart from Drivers - Network - Broadcom 440x

I wasn't going to upload this image, but decided it's give people a better idea of what's in the options screen when installing the OS.

Different distro's differ :)

picture1od1.png

see when you say boot from dvd again.. Do you mean completely reinstall again. i am so close wth this but just not quite there.

got kalyway 10502 installed. network and audio not working. wifi i can live without and even the audio as will be installing pro tools with mbox .

I cannot change my display though. its defaulted to 1024x768 which i should be happy with. at least its working but i would love to be able to get 1440x900 . any ideas

cheers

see when you say boot from dvd again.. Do you mean completely reinstall again. i am so close wth this but just not quite there.

got kalyway 10502 installed. network and audio not working. wifi i can live without and even the audio as will be installing pro tools with mbox .

I cannot change my display though. its defaulted to 1024x768 which i should be happy with. at least its working but i would love to be able to get 1440x900 . any ideas

cheers

NOooooo, don't install the whole shooting match again.
If you've got the OS up & running, boot from the DVD, but uncheck EVERYTHING apart from the individual item you want to change.

I had the same issue with video, the way I got around that was to manually edit one of the files...as soon as I can remember what it was, I'll post it here.

see this is where i am getting confused. When i click on the dvd when its on a disc when in leopard it just prompts it to restart and reinstall. which is obviously not what i be wanting to do.

edit... stuppid question time. How exactly do i boot from dvd when i am already on the desktop ??

To adjust the resolution manually, you'll need to edit:

com.apple.boot.plist

Edit the resolution to suit your own preferences.
You may need to add the line.

Here is an example /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist:

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1280x1024x32</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Spent £1500 on my imac, was gutted to part with the £££ at first but its the best decision ive ever made

Back