HP ProLiant MicroServer / NAS 4 Bay £212.07 @ Dabs (+ £100 HP Cash Back / Quidco)

I use UNRAID - and check the wiki and forums.
sabnzb with sickbeard and a whole lot of stuff - great for a media storage server.

Last edited by a moderator:
GUYS WAIT ! Surely you are all over complicating things ?!

This is the answer to all your questions ...

Amahi Home Server - Making Home Networking Simple

I dont use it personally but a mate of mine does and he swears by it. Rock stable (built on Linux) and not failed yet ! :)

Does look quite good actually..and has support for NZB clients and Bit Torrent clients...might be exactly what im looking for. Apps appear to be one click installs as well...including Sabnzbd , Sickbeard also supported...No need to mess about with command line and scripts, deppendencies like UNRAID and FreeNAS.

Based on Fedora Linux...only issue is though...USB install is not officially supported..but can be made to work. The HP Microserver hasnt got a optical drive so USB install is required.

This also looks like it has to be installed to the hard disk not compact enough to be run and booted directly from a USB key...like FreeNAS or UNRAID.

This is not an issue in my case.,.I have the standard 160gig HP drive installed and 2 x 2TB Samsung Spinpoints. I could install AMAHI on the 160 gig drive use that for NZB and Torrent downloads..and move the copleted downloads to the storage drives afterwards...

I will give this a try looks good.. Thanks

Last edited:
i've heard that Amahi is meant to be good when looking into WHS and the new WHS 'Vail'

i've heard that Amahi is meant to be good when looking into WHS and the new WHS 'Vail'

MS are looking at removing some key drive related features in Vail. Looking at winsupersite looks like MS are winding down development and support for WHS which is stupid IMO as its a great product and fills a markey gap which I think is exploding right now with more people getting into home networking.

definitley the home market for servers is growing massivley, WHS was a slow burner that seems to have a good following, WHS2K8/Vail/whatever they're going to call it could have been perfect but it looks like they're removing the Drive Extender feature and nerds are up in arms about it

i signed up the beta and it seemed pretty good, drive extender wouldn't affect me i don't think - i'd work around it but i can see how it would be good for future development of a home server.

removal of drive extender has been the biggest complaint so far, though users can use hardware RAID instead if they really wanted to.

Couple of useful additions look to be support for homegroups and DNLA (this could turn out to very significant). There is also talk of seemless cloud drive backups and potentially media centre integration including tuner support (that would be very interesting option). Of course there are load of 3rd party add-ons that really make the difference including the rather excellect MyMovies.

Anyway more information here,

V2 | We Got Served

Got Amahi installed on my HP microserver now, with 2 x 2Tb drives in a Greyhole Storage Pool, and the standard 160gig Drive as the system drive with Amahi OS installed.

1st thoughts, not exactly straightforward to setup and install Amahi...the Microserver doesnt have a Optical drive..and USB install or Net Install are not officially supported by Amahi.

I temprarily installed a optical drive and installed Amahi from the express CD. The install is straightforward.

Amahi does not automatically detect or setup any additional hard drives. You have to search the WIKI and manually start a console session to the server and partition, format and mount the drives, then add them to fstab so they are automatically mounted on a reboot.

Theres no easy way through the GUI to even perform simple tasks like change the IP address on the server...

I was running NasLite prior to this...and this was much simpler, menu driven interface easy to add new drives etc. If you shut down incorrectly drive files systems were automatically rebuilt.

Amahi requires a you manually drop into conoles and do a "greyhole --fsck" to rebuild the file setup. Again you have to search the Wikis for answers...not a lot of basic features you can execute from the GUI.

Also no FTP server as standard..But the Greyhole storage pool concept it a good idea, hopefully should be smoother sailing now it's setup.

i've got sabnzbd installed for news groups, I still need to test this..

nice update, nice to hear about the amahi install/configuration.

I've installed W7 Pro x64 on my microserver, upgraded the RAM to 4gb and plopped in 4 x 500gb hard disks. Am using PS3 Media Server which is serving to my PS3 quite happily.

One thing to note for W7 is that if you use the AMD AHCI drivers you end up with crap disk performance, somthing like 10Mb/s, use the W7 supplied AHCI drivers and the disk transfer speeds rise to 60-70Mb/s so don't use the AMD drivers.

The Fan on the Microserver is touch noisy as well. My previous NAS was an old PIII Dell Machine with NAS Lite..that was more silent than the HP. I've migrated all the data to the HP now and shut down the NASLite Box.

I will relocate the HP somewhere where the noise wont matter, it's in my bedroom currenrtly.Blue light on the from is distracting as well atnight.
once I set up OpenVPN connectivity. I can remotely web browse and SSH Putty console to it anyway, so it doesnt need to be physcially accessible all the time.

For anybody that missed this there is now the same offer available for the new 250gb model, must purchase between 1st feb and 28th to claim £100 cashback.

For anybody that missed this there is now the same offer available for the new 250gb model, must purchase between 1st feb and 28th to claim £100 cashback.

Hi,

Do you have the links for this please.

My 100 quid cashback cheque arrived in the post this morning :Clap:

So how noisy is this unit then?

Am thinking of getting one but it will be located in my lounge behind the TV, if it's going to emit a constant noise then I'm just not interested.

I'm currently using a Synology NAS.

So how noisy is this unit then?

Am thinking of getting one but it will be located in my lounge behind the TV, if it's going to emit a constant noise then I'm just not interested.

I'm currently using a Synology NAS.

It has a single large fan at the back of the unit, not too bad, I initially though it was noisy because it was on laminate floor, causing vibrations, i've since relocated it and it;s fine now.

Back