How to get longer EPG on dreambox Pli image

wizbit77

Inactive User
Reaction score
Steps:

Make sure you have storage for the EPG, either USB or CF. disk or mount works, but is not advised (disk accessed a lot may seem noisy).

Switch to the SQLite EPG database (blue button, Dreambox settings, System settings, EPG

Download the 'Dreambox EPG plugin' via blue button, software management

Make your SKY bouquet current by zapping to a channel in that list

Start the plugin via de plugin menu (yellow button)

Press the green button to open the channel mapping screen
On the left, you see the unmapped channels (as defined in the radiotimes xml file)
On the right, you see the channels from the current bouquet

Now map the channels by selecting one in the left window (ok), then select the matching one from the right

Once you've mapped all channels you want to see EPG data from, press Done (green button)

You can now do a manual retrieve (yellow button) to check. You should see a download window for every channel mapped.

Optionally, you can have the plugin create a cron entry to retrieve the data automatically once a day. To do that, set the time you want to do this, check the 'Use Cron' checkbox, and press the blue button when you're done. Optionally, you can set the number of days ahead you want. Time offset should always be zero, unless you are in a different timezone then your box is (which is hardly ever the case).

If you want to use the Cron option, make sure you have cron installed and running. Press the blue button, select Dreambox settings, system settings, services to run. There should be an entry in there with a checkbox called 'Start Crond'. If it's not checked, check it, save it, then restart the box to start the cron daemon. If it's not in the list. Go to software management, download and install cron, then repeat the previous steps to activate cron.

Above information written by wanwizard from the Pliimages forum.

I couldn't see a usb slot on the dm600 for the solid state storage device that they recommend using (this is to keep the noise down still works fine stored on the internal hdd). I have stored the epg to the onboard hdd and don't find it too noisy. Don't think it would be too hard to have it on a networked drive away from the box. or perhpas someone knows of a way to connect a usb memory stick? I have mapped the movie channels and a few others and it works great. Much easier for setting the timer and works much more like the pvr I originally thought I was buying.

(Mods, hope it is o.k. to post this information if it is a not please remove it and message me so I know for future)

Wizbit77

At the moment anyone attempting the above will need to read the associated thread
https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/144225/
As pli have made a slight error.
Good luck all
Wizbit77

Last edited by a moderator:
damn good stuff that sql databse stuff

on a side note i have been working on a dm600 image with sql included and also a reworked epg grabber so we get a full 14 days epg all set up for uk :) :)

not ready yet but i hope to release first week in sept :) :)

more info and screen shots soon ....

cheers

osborne82

Look forward to using your image, sounds great.
Think that actually making my own images is a bit beyond me. Still struggle with on - off switches.
Wizbit77

is there anyway a dm500c can show more days on the EPG yet?

Unfortunately I don't have a dm500 so I can't be sure. But I think that the above info is for the Pli image and will work on any machine.
So i think it will work if you try it.
Wizbit77

maybe a dumb question but do i need the internet to work at the dreambox for this to work?

also i add bbc1 south west on the left, to bbc1 on the right, and hit green

but if i go back into the list and see whats mapped the list is empty again

also hitting yellow on the main screen brings up a "downloading" window that does nothing and i have to abort

also if i change the "number of days" in the epg config screen from 4 days to 5 days - then hit blue done, then go back into the epg config screen its back to 4 days

its as if nothing at all is saving

Sorry yeah you do need the Dreambox to have the internet access. It downloads the information direct from the radio times website.
It does the same thing to me whenever I save the 4 - 5 or 6 day etc. epg setting. I think that it is just the default view for that particular page because it does change it
I moved my wireless router next to the dm to make things easier for me. The cable that feeds it is the brings the same signal that feeds the dm. I just ripped off the little data signal blocker and split the cable there.
Hey presto a t.v. stand that looks like a 1970's super computer all lovely flashing green and red lights.
Wizbit77

@wizbit77 I followed your advice and set mine up the same but I am not convinced my cron works. Hve you set yours up with a cron and does it work?

I have set mine up with a cron and it seems to be working. Although I have it set for 6 in the morning when i am seldom up. I am going to change the time and sit there and watch it make sure it does it. I will give you an up date as soon as I can kick her of the couch. How many episodes / repeats of coronation st. can they put out in a week!!!!

I appreciate taht this is a bit obvious... but you have downloaded the cron plugin.......

Cheers
Wizbit

Nothing is ever obivious with the dreambox.lol I don't remember downloading any cron plugin and I have checked the download menu and could not find cron plugin.

I went to Setup > System settings > Servives to run and ticked the start crond at reboot.

I have mine set to download at 6 in the morning as well but I keep downloading manually as I am recording the Twenty20 matches.

the crond option doesn't appear to be working. I set it to do it at 11.30 last night and sat there watching it (yes I know boring git) but nothing happened. Then to top it off when I tried to do manual download it kept freezing.
Gonna have a look on the pli mainsite to see if there are any hints. Will keep you updated.
Wizbit77

@wizbit77 from the Wanwizard on the Pli site 'There's a bug in the rt_uk script, at the end of the script the new channel.dat file is fetched from the Radiotimes website, but it is stored in /tmp. After that it needs to be moved to replace the one stored in /var/tuxbox/config/dbepg. '

I guess unless we can amend this script we are stuck with doing it manually.

@curious 123
Surely it can't be that hard to make this kind of amendment to the script. All we would have to do is a pretty simple search and replace operation.
Do you know how to get into the script? I am a complete newbie. The last time I did any programming it was on my speccy +3 (which I still have)
Wizbit77

As you say it can't be that difficult to change the script. Will have to dig out my linux for dummies file i downloaded from the internet.

Two things,

Yes this also works for the 500 - I have this box.

This from the other forum:

last line of the rt_uk.sh script to fetch the mapped files from the radiotimes website reads:
wget http://xmltv.radiotimes.com/xmltv/channels.dat -O /tmp/rt_channels.dat

That file shouldn't go into /tmp, but should update /var/tuxbox/config/dbepg/channels.dat file.

we changed the target location of the wget.

So it sounds like this has been fixed - how do we download the latest script though?

@dweeb4 I expect that they will change the plugin with the amended script but if you would rather not wait and do it yourself than check the other thread about the EPG that was started by Wizbit77, I have added the lines that Osborne82 provided to fix the the script. The script is located in usr/bin just add the lines after 'wget.... and before the exit and this should fix the problem.

Hi Curious - I'm with you there - have you done it & it works?

Another thing - has anybody done a nice little program which reads this SQL epg database, gives a nice Channel viewer GUI & provides advance recording timers which can initiate Ngrab recording?

I have changed my script and I think it is working. Check how many days of EPG you have currently than make the changes to the script, change the number of days of epg i.e make it more days than previously change the cron and than check your epg to see if you have more days than you did earlier.

Last edited:
Two things,

i tried the pli helenite image on my box, and all pay for channels were scrambled and i just couldnt get them to show so i gave up

i REALLY want a longer EPG though

also for some reason i cant get internet connectivity to my dreambox (the lan works fine, and it goes via my router so i dont know why the internet doesnt work - yes dns and gateway are set as my router ip)

Two things,

i tried the pli helenite image on my box, and all pay for channels were scrambled and i just couldnt get them to show so i gave up

i REALLY want a longer EPG though

also for some reason i cant get internet connectivity to my dreambox on any image ive ever used so i assume its a trpouter issue (the weird thing is the lan works fine, and it all goes via my router so i dont know why the internet doesnt work - yes dns and gateway are set as my router ip)

Back