How long after interview before contact regarding outcome?

calvtan

Member ++
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Just a quick advise. I went for an interview on the 1st May (Fri)...
I have not heard from them since although they say they will contact me soon before i left.

I know is only 6 working days (cause Bank holiday last monday) since I went for interview, should I give it until this friday before contacting them again, or should i contact them tue/wed?

Also, any ideas what should i type on the email... don't want to show too desperate, but need to know the outcome. I have been looking around, but most email is for 'after interview' email to say thanks.. which i already done on the evening on the interview day,
and which the director replied almost immediately to say thanks too.

I am feeling positive (70-80%) about how it went, but just * u understand the feeling*.......

Time like this, every interview is like gold dust....

Thanks..

If they haven't contacted you before now, it's highly unlikely they will now.

In my experience, if you're the right man for the job, they will get in touch with you within a couple of days, perhaps even as you leave the building (it's happened to me a few times previously).

As for the mail's to thank employers for the interview...I'm firmly in the the "Sod That" camp.

Why in the name of all that's good should I thank a potential employer for an interview?
If they have any sense at all, they should be thanking me for attending & giving them the opportunity of employing me.

Good luck in your quest.

hmmm... thanks for the advice

from your answer... it seems is to assume nothing...and do nothing..

which is very hard thing for me (to do nothing), until they say NO on my face... haha

Last edited:
it depends on how efficiant the company is, as above i have been given the job straight away but also had to wait 3 months on a couple too. i know its hard but when looking for new work i just apply for as many suitable jobs as possiable and try not to get my hopes up. good luck though mate.

i understand both of you regarding time it takes to reply...

but, i am thinking, should i initiate anything form my side? kinda hanging here nor there..

yes, am applying for other jobs too in the mean time...

thanks for your best wishes....

Tell us the answer you want to hear & we'll post it for you.

Or chose from the following:

a) Yes, send a thank you/begging letter, prospective employers love this sort of sycophantic/subserviant behaviour.

b) No, don't send a thank you letter, if they can't determine the benefits I would bring to their organisation from the interview, then this is not an establishment I would wish to be associated wish.

--

BTW, at my last interview, the manager interviewing me slapped on the back as I left and said "Excellent interview"...I'm still there now :)

Tell us the answer you want to hear & we'll post it for you.

Or chose from the following:

a) Yes, send a thank you/begging letter, prospective employers love this sort of sycophantic/subserviant behaviour.

b) No, don't send a thank you letter, if they can't determine the benefits I would bring to their organisation from the interview, then this is not an establishment I would wish to be associated wish.

--

BTW, at my last interview, the manager interviewing me slapped on the back as I left and said "Excellent interview"...I'm still there now :)

Haha... thanks for the straight forward answer... :)
That's what I am looking for... YES or NO from them...

Well done on your last interview!

If the vacancy attracted numerous applicants, any decent company will draw up a short list of candidates for a second interview. I would just wait for a letter in the post from them. Asking for their decision could be viewed as being pushy. Keep sending out applications. And may i wish you GOOD LUCK in your chosen career path.

If the vacancy attracted numerous applicants, any decent company will draw up a short list of candidates for a second interview. I would just wait for a letter in the post from them. Asking for their decision could be viewed as being pushy. Keep sending out applications. And may i wish you GOOD LUCK in your chosen career path.

Thanks...I guess I have to leave it alone for now...from your all advice..

Agree with fellow posts ,some companys will send you the .....thanx but no thanx , others wont have the face to send anything at all. Some companys may take weeks before deciding who to employ,best advice is keep looking for other jobs and if they dont come back to you ,you may have found another job anyway,dont waist your time sitting waiting for them.

I waited 8 weeks to hear from TFL about a Training Contract - left it two weeks from the exams, then rang every week.

So I have to disagree that if you don't hear with 48 hours you're no good!

Companies, particularly big ones, are busy! Sifting paperwork to find a new employee is usually a pretty low priority in my experience.

I wrote to the Government asking for a job as 'Secretary to the sex!'

It's been six years without a word but I am still hopefull.

Can you speak to your references to see if they have been in touch?

Sometimes potential employers take ages verifying you're references and will only phone you up or send you a letter once everything has checked out to their standards

Can you speak to your references to see if they have been in touch?

Sometimes potential employers take ages verifying you're references and will only phone you up or send you a letter once everything has checked out to their standards

Actually, that's a good idea, but that will be my old boss...
:Laugh:

I may speak to him to check out....

Agree with fellow posts ,some companys will send you the .....thanx but no thanx , others wont have the face to send anything at all. Some companys may take weeks before deciding who to employ,best advice is keep looking for other jobs and if they dont come back to you ,you may have found another job anyway,dont waist your time sitting waiting for them.

Yes, that's a good advice... Will just wait...

I waited 8 weeks to hear from TFL about a Training Contract - left it two weeks from the exams, then rang every week.

So I have to disagree that if you don't hear with 48 hours you're no good!

Companies, particularly big ones, are busy! Sifting paperwork to find a new employee is usually a pretty low priority in my experience.

This company is a MNC with 80k employees... lets hope your point is the current situation...

Thanks...

Back