How do you stop .............

Penners

Inactive User
Reaction score
Ice from forming on the inside of the car windscreen?

I always thought as long as you leave the air intakes on passive then you should be fine.

That was not the case this morning -8 c and frost/ice on the inside of the window.

Engine in my jeep is not the smallest so takes a long time to warm up, ended up spraying de-icer on the inside as wasn't prepared to sit outside for 5-10mins until the engine was warm enough to defrost it lol

So what are your tips for preventing this inconvenience on a cold winter’s morning?

get yourself one of these.

Out of stock although at least I know what to get lol, Didn't think they would do plug in heaters of that size thought it would kill the battery although I presume you keep the engine running whilst its turned on.

Any other thoughts ? Would opening all the windows prior to stopping help ? i.e letting the warm air out of the car ?

Your Pollen Filter might be old and blocked, try chaging that

Your Pollen Filter might be old and blocked, try chaging that

Hi hoss6800

Thanks for the advice I'm not mechanically minded but could this cause ice on the inside ? Maybe worth changing anyway as the filter will be about 3 years old now

Ice normally forms on the inside if the interior is damp. This may be caused by a leaky or ripped door seal (had this happened in my old sierra estate, the back door didn't seal properly so I always had to de-ice the inside of the car).

Getting into the car whilst you are wet is enough to cause damp in the car and if it's not dry by the time it's cold enough to freeze you get ice.

Ice normally forms on the inside if the interior is damp. This may be caused by a leaky or ripped door seal (had this happened in my old sierra estate, the back door didn't seal properly so I always had to de-ice the inside of the car).

Getting into the car whilst you are wet is enough to cause damp in the car and if it's not dry by the time it's cold enough to freeze you get ice.

~ I must admit I've been a little slack with allowing snow from my boots etc in the footwell

I will check the seals tonight just to make sure they are not broken. Usually my drive into work is only 15 mins so barely enough time for the car to dry out especially water in the footwell from my feet :)

Also picked others up last week when they were snowed in etc.. so I bet the footwells in the back are wet too lol hope my mats aren't mucky.

Thing is tho I'd have thought the excess water etc in the footwell would remain there until car is heated then evaporate. So would have expected frozen mats and not windscreen.

I'm obviously wrong tho as inside windscreen was full of ice lol

Out of stock although at least I know what to get lol, Didn't think they would do plug in heaters of that size thought it would kill the battery although I presume you keep the engine running whilst its turned on.

Any other thoughts ? Would opening all the windows prior to stopping help ? i.e letting the warm air out of the car ?

Don't bother with that heater, they are crap, 200w will hardly make any difference. Until you track down the source of problem, I'm afraid that its a case of getting up 10 minutes early. 15 minute drive is unlikely to be long enough to dry out the interia of the car. Also if you have aircon, make sure that is switched on re-circulate, that will help dry the air.

Also somebody did mention that they used to run a 2kw fan heater on a extension lead, though I think you risk cracking the screen doing that, lol.

Don't bother with that heater, they are crap, 200w will hardly make any difference. Until you track down the source of problem, I'm afraid that its a case of getting up 10 minutes early. 15 minute drive is unlikely to be long enough to dry out the interia of the car. Also if you have aircon, make sure that is switched on re-circulate, that will help dry the air.

Also somebody did mention that they used to run a 2kw fan heater on a extension lead, though I think you risk cracking the screen doing that, lol.

must admit I use the aircon set to heat and clears misty windows no time but this morning it would have had no chance unless like you say I left the engine running for a good 10 mins to heat up prior to setting off.

I think it could be the mats as the front mats are rubber and they have puddles lol. Back ones are carpet type so they could be soaking too.

Think the seals should be ok as car is not all that old but will check these as they could have ripped/split if opened whilst door was frozen

I know I've ripped one of my wiper blades (passenger side) the other day turned wipers on whilst they were stuck to the window not the brightest idea but i hadn't had my morning coffee that day lol

They moved but did leave a nice chunk of rubber on windscreen (only had them replaced 2 months ago on winter service)

But your right with the heater ideally I need to locate / stop the water getting in, in the first place

I'd be willing to bet it's wet feet and jacket's that causing it mate.

the dampness in the car will raise the humidity when the heater is on so when you switch it off when you arrive a your destination the warm damp air cools on the inside of the windows and will freeze overnight.

Has it only started since the shitty weather, if it has it will probably just be the dampness, get into the habit of knocking the worst of the snow etc off your feet and coat before you get in the car

Stu

I got a big bag of Sylica gel in my car and thatd done the trick soaking up the moisture. Try that if you have any lying around!

If the car is parked on the drive get a biscuit tin and put one of those nightlight candles in it stock it to the centre of the tin and place in footwell and the heat from the candle keeps the car warm.

A tea light is no good need to find 8hr night light candle

My dad used to do this when i was a kid I just use a fan heater for house to car warm and thaw in one go, but son in law had car so not needed to this year yet.

Last edited:
jus try covering up ur windscreen over nite, dat shud do da trick

Thanks for all your advice everyone.

Looks like it was down to wet mats!! Mainly the back mats, which are the carpet type. They were absolutely soaked and there was lots of condensation on all windows in the car so I've taken the back mats out to dry (won’t be picking anyone up this week unless it snows again lol)

And I took the car for a good hour drive with heating on full and back window open a crack. When engine was up to temp all condensation including back windows went bone dry.

Got up this morning -3 in car not as bad as yesterday’s -8 and no frost/ice on the inside just a covering on the outside (which i don't mind lol)

Next question last night when engine was at temp I tried using aircon set to recirc. I thought this would dry the air better that just having heating on full blast it worked but not as good as when I just set heating on full blast and left back window open a jar.

So theoretically which should be best?

Aircon set to recirc or
Heat full blast back window a jar

The reason I'm asking is I'm still wondering if maybe my pollen filter as mentioned earlier does need replacing.

Ive been using another car... exactly the same problem.. ive been using a NTL card to scrape it off.. Only thing is it looks like its been snowing inside..Then it remelts and the cycle starts over again.. :)

Ive been using another car... exactly the same problem.. ive been using a NTL card to scrape it off.. Only thing is it looks like its been snowing inside..Then it remelts and the cycle starts over again.. :)

Ha ha I tried scraping it off first time got covered in tiny snowflakes looked like I had a serious case of dandruff lol

That’s why I opted for the de-icer, obviously not the wisest idea due to fumes etc.. But did the trick quick.

P.S it wasn't the pressurised can's just the one that looks like its window cleaner with a trigger pump. So may have been a little better than the pressurised ones.

Definitely not advisable that’s for sure :)

Back