How do you do a FAT16 format ?

Jooooles

DW Regular +
Reaction score
I want to do a external drive FAT16 format ( well its a nds cart ) but when i right click on the drive i only get a format 32 option are just format i need to do a fat16 format

Can one of you clever people help me out please

I want to do a external drive FAT16 format ( well its a nds cart ) but when i right click on the drive i only get a format 32 option are just format i need to do a fat16 format

Can one of you clever people help me out please
why do u want fat 16

i think the last time that was used was windows 3.11 lol

jaffa im in cmd this is what ive typed

format E :/FS:FAT16
im getting a invalid parameter error

I know this looks exactly the same but it isn't, your semi colon is in wrong place.

here is what you have and what it should be...yours top.

format E: /FS:FAT16

Edit: btw...I see from my 1st post it may have been misleading because I put it in bold...soz m8

Last edited:
I know this looks exactly the same but it isn't, your semi colon is in wrong place.

here is what you have and what it should be...yours top.

format E: /FS:FAT16

Edit: btw...I see from my 1st post it may have been misleading because I put it in bold...soz m8

im now getting this error the file system is FAT
the new file system is FAT16
format is not available for FAT16 drives

u want to get hold of a copy of window 95 that has dos 3x which uses fat16

xp dos only uses fat32

fat = file allocation table and 16 is 16 bit
32 is 32 bit

Dont know about G6 but is the mem card bigger than 2gb...if so then Fat16 wont work. You may be able to do it if 2gb or smaller by rebooting and going to safe start F8 and start at dos window then fomat to Fat16. XP struggles with older system allocations.

just been reading some posts on a nds site people have just formatted these with FAT not FAT32 and say there was no problem so i think ill just give that a shot fingers crossed

i suspect the easiest way if trying to format from win xp didnt work is to get a boot floppy and format from that u can get older versions from

www.bootdisk.com

here is a copy of windows 3.11
on floppys

also here is a dos 3x boot disk msd330bd

Back