HOME MADE - Linux Multiple Wan Routers

baggy69: looks perfect but you need to plug the modems in let them turn on for a minute first then power up the router, you can plug the pcs ethernet into any of the other 3 ports

pootas: impossible to brick a Buffalo unless you erase the cfe (bootloader) which I doubt you did

baggy69: looks perfect but you need to plug the modems in let them turn on for a minute first then power up the router, you can plug the pcs ethernet into any of the other 3 ports

pootas: impossible to brick a Buffalo unless you erase the cfe (bootloader) which I doubt you did

Just because you haven't done it mate doesn't mean it's not possible...I tell you what if ebuyer return the router to me I'll quite happily remove the solder so it boots again and send it to you so you can see for yourself and stop doubting me.

Thanks adamg, another dual wan router working fine here :)
I do have a few questions (sorry)
How do i set up wireless encription now and how do i change the macs?
Is there a web interface that will do all this and if yes how do i install it?
Thanks again :)

it isnt possible to do it without opening it up in the first place, the cfe cannot be overwrote without jtag or serial, shoulnt of opened it in the first place and just read the thread

Thanks adamg, another dual wan router working fine here :)
I do have a few questions (sorry)
How do i set up wireless encription now and how do i change the macs?
Is there a web interface that will do all this and if yes how do i install it?
Thanks again :)

For the web interface see:
http://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=1014401&postcount=96

and as for the wireless encryption, the web interface wireless section didnt work for me so I manually edited the wireless config file using the web interfaces file editor, direct link:

http://192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/webif/system-editor.sh?path=/etc/config&edit=wireless

and used the following values: (though i did use WEP not WPA2 so my Nintendo DS can connect)

#start of config

config wifi-device wl0
option type broadcom
option channel 11

# REMOVE THIS LINE TO ENABLE WIFI:
# option disabled 1

config wifi-iface
option device wl0
option network lan
option mode ap
option ssid MyNetworkName
option encryption wep
option key 02E334353637C8646566676869

#end of config

Theres some good info here for more customisation and WPA2 settings etc:

http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Configuration#head-3df0fd425a927a2d9a7e5c13f070bc4840eb7144
http://downloads.openwrt.org/kamikaze/docs/openwrt.html#x1-110001.2.2

Last edited:
bored of waiting for ebay tossers i decided to look at my mates bricked wrt54g and have successfully unbricked it :banana:
if any one needs it i used The Ping, Dear God, I Beg Of You Technique in this guide: http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/10724_3618616_1
its very easy to follow but strangley i coundnt get the linksys firmware to work so i used dd-wrt.v23_mini_wrt54g.bin.

Trying this again and i am gettng as far as to get to putty but again when i try to put the script in it tells me this

wget: bad address 'adamg.cc'
chmod: setup: No such file or directory
-ash: ./setup: not found
root@OpenWrt:~#

any idea were im going wrong?

And if i do get this working how do i install the web interface and the wireless part ?

Last edited:
adam that is the method i explained earlier im glad you got it working :) just goes to show these routers do have failsafes and its not so easy to totally brick them

dazling read psynets post just above for web interface :), looks like your not connected as well hence the script isnt downloading

Trying this again and i am gettng as far as to get to putty but again when i try to put the script in it tells me this

wget: bad address 'adamg.cc'
chmod: setup: No such file or directory
-ash: ./setup: not found

any idea were im going wrong?

And if i do get this working how do i install the web interface and the wireless part ?

I got this when I didn't have a working modem plugged into the router WAN port.

Sipper

I got this when I didn't have a working modem plugged into the router WAN port.

Sipper

i cant work it out i must be fooking stupid or something as you can see from this
screen shot it says the modem is connected so were am i going wrong and why is it not working?

Last edited:
hi adamg, i'm having limited fun trying your buffalo script stuff on the linksys : shocked2
i've now reflashed the thing countless times and have worked out that it works with kamikaze on it as long as i remember to reboot router and modem as you said, otherwise theres no contact with the modem. when i download the script it goes funny but i now understand that the wan and lan next to it are both wans (or at least not lans). i dont feel especially comfotable with the rest as you said you didn't get the dual wan working on your linksys :toiletcla however i am plodding on. i have looked at youre scripts(?) and notice there very similar to the actual linksys ones here: http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/KamikazeConfiguration/MultipleWan
so i'm going to try to alter things to suit - unfortunately i have zero linux experience. how do i about making scripts - do i put it all in note pad or something? i take it if i save them right i can just replace your webpages with my own ip? bugger it i dont even know what i'm trying to ask :) i'll keep looking
cheers mate

cant get the script to work now, it just tells me file exists
sorry me being silly

Last edited:
i cant work it out i must be fooking stupid or something as you can see from this
screen shot it says the modem is connected so were am i going wrong and why is it not working?

Sorry mate, I'm too old to be able to read what your screenshot is saying. Do me a favour and power down your modems, wait a couple of minutes and post the output of 'ip route' (entered in PUtty).

I also found that to get things working my network card had to be set to dhcp instead of having a static address of 192.168.1.x - try this and see what happens. I was also a bit frustrated at first but as things started to work it became easier to suss what to expect.

HTH

Sipper

well i've gone through again, actually doing it per ur instructions this time:doh:and have 2 modems plugged in to the linksys and 1 has access. i gave them different internal ips so i could ping them individually. 1 has no access. however after rebooting them the 1 with access had swapped with the other.

can u tell me how to put in different commands - is it thu putty?

time for a pint me thinks

good work mate

lol you all even managed to confuse me now,

look im making a video now and you certainly cant go wrong then

lol you all even managed to confuse me now,

look im making a video now and you certainly cant go wrong then

Hehe, you're only confused now - I've been confused from the start. : spook :

Sorry mate, I'm too old to be able to read what your screenshot is saying. Do me a favour and power down your modems, wait a couple of minutes and post the output of 'ip route' (entered in PUtty).

I also found that to get things working my network card had to be set to dhcp instead of having a static address of 192.168.1.x - try this and see what happens. I was also a bit frustrated at first but as things started to work it became easier to suss what to expect.

HTH

Sipper

This is what i get from ip route within Putty

root@OpenWrt:~# ip route
192.168.1.0/24 dev br-lan proto kernel scope link src 192.168.1.1

i have no connection via the router for some reason i finally got it to be able to upload adamg`s script but since then i have had no connection i have to keep unplugging and plugging it back in to be able to talk on here,

i have also unplugged modems and left unplugged for several minutes for them to reboot properly but still no good :Cry:

1 more ? do i need both modems plugged in for this to work?
or will it still work with only 1 of the modems plugged in?

just finished the video its pretty low quality tho, blame windows movie maker for that

http://adamg.cc/dualwan.wmv

sorry i didnt add a finishing touch to the video but once you get to the end your all done :)

Last edited:
1 more ? do i need both modems plugged in for this to work?
or will it still work with only 1 of the modems plugged in?

Well i had it working with 1 modem connected to only the wan port - did you check that your network card gets its adress via dhcp instead of using a static address.

S

Back