Home Brew Equipment and kits at least 50% off instore at tesco

I think I will do :). I was a bit puzzled at his videos because he said there was more chance of contamination (I think he said "infection") using a fermenter instead of a 23l carboy due to the air gap at the top. I think that might have been for secondary fermantation when he transferred to the carboy when the SG was a certain level.

I take it that if I got a bin and a fermenter (like in the kits) that the syrup/water would first be in the bin for a few days then syphoned to the fermenter for a few days until fermentation stops and then the other bits and pieces are added (stabiliser and finings). I think it's degassed before adding those sachets of stabiliser and stuff and then stirred a few times and settled before syphoning to bottles.

Did I get that about right?

I did wonder about the big beard and sandals :).

Ive used the 25 litre bins since i started and ive not once had an infection yet infact they are hard to get if you take your time and clean everything properly. Once fermentation starts the process produces 2 by products one is co2 the other is alcohol. Once you have a layer of co2 over your wine or beer nothing can get in to contaminate it.

I use starsan which is a none rinse contact sanitiser. The beauty of that stuff is that you can prepare some in a spray bottle and spray around the top of the fermenter as an extra level of defence. It lasts for ages too 1ml of starsan per litre of solution.

Sounds like good stuff Sargie :).

My stuff is on order, I think I missed the cut off for dispatch today so it might be next week when I start the first batch :Cheers:.

always worth the wait

@sargie nice tip .... I use starsan which is a none rinse contact sanitiser. The beauty of that stuff is that you can prepare some in a spray bottle and spray around the top of the fermenter as an extra level of defence. It lasts for ages too 1ml of starsan per litre of solution.

always worth the wait

@sargie nice tip .... I use starsan which is a none rinse contact sanitiser. The beauty of that stuff is that you can prepare some in a spray bottle and spray around the top of the fermenter as an extra level of defence. It lasts for ages too 1ml of starsan per litre of solution.

You can put it in your airlock too ;)

just had a little taste of my coopers mexican cerveza. its very nice stuff, will be even better after a few more weeks.

i also have a ginger beer on the go, but i think its going to be quite weak going by my readings. will be ideal as a mixer for vodka though

just had a little taste of my coopers mexican cerveza. its very nice stuff, will be even better after a few more weeks.

i also have a ginger beer on the go, but i think its going to be quite weak going by my readings. will be ideal as a mixer for vodka though

Ive made the ginger beer several times and it's a winner in my book, i keg it straight into a corny keg and dispense from there. The beauty of the ginger beer is that it's drinkable as soon as ive force carbed it.

Was seriously thinking about making my own wine for a while so am so glad i have seen this thread.

Was thinking about using the kits.

Just wanted to ask you pros in here, whats the difference between 7, 14 day kits and the 3 months ones.

Surely 3 months means the wine is better, or is that not right?

mines just didnt seem to work properly. had fermenting for 2 weeks before bottling it. but not once in that time did i see the airlock bubbling. but i was checking the levels regularly it was definately fermenting. i should come out around 2.5%, but it wont go to waste, as it tastes quite nice so far.

Was seriously thinking about making my own wine for a while so am so glad i have seen this thread.

Was thinking about using the kits.

Just wanted to ask you pros in here, whats the difference between 7, 14 day kits and the 3 months ones.

Surely 3 months means the wine is better, or is that not right?

i havent made wine, as i dont drink it. so not sure what the answer is.

however, when it comes to making lagers, it will taste much better if left bottled for 3 months, than it will if you drink after 2 weeks. so wine may be the same

From what I've read fermenting and brewing is usually a time/quality trade-off. I got a ~7 day fermenting wine to try first as I'm impatient :).

As a rule, if it's quick to the bottle it should be quick to the glass.

Now, I haven't made wine for years but I 'test' it regularly ;)

Some wine, such as Beaujolais, is produced quickly and doesn't generally last. It's intended to be drunk quickly - within weeks or months. Whereas, some will mature if 'laid down' and will improve with age.

IMHO, the faster kits are intended to be drunk soon after bottling while the longer (3 month) kits should mature if you have the patience.

The key to getting all of them fit to drink is to follow the process precisely.

Things to watch out for are even temperature while fermenting, fining, leaving the sediment behind and not over-sterilising the kit (tastes nasty). If laying down, a good hand-corking machine is worth its weight in gold :)

His videos show the Superior wine kit being made which is a longer process.

When making the 7-day kit (called "Premium") is it still necessary to transfer to a secondary fermenter at a specific gravity of 1010?

Got myself half the required number of bottles for £12 and some re-usable stoppers :).

Suppose it depends on the kit M8 but far as I'm aware ferment is finished at day 5, clears by day 7 then you just rack and bottle...

Ive made both 4 week and 7 day wine kits. The 4 week ones tend to be better quality and are drinkable after the 4 weeks. 7 day wine kits are drinkable after 7 days but get much better with a couple of months in the bottle to condition it.

So there's no need to do the transfer at SG 1010 with the 7-day kit?

It's not in the instructions so maybe it doesn't benefit those particular kits too much.

when i did a 5 day brew the other week it took 6 days lol thats cos i left it a bit longer
before i transfered it into another bin with tap,mixed in stabaliser and finning left it 24 hours
then it was drinkable,i got about 3 litres bottled which ive put away for crimbo and about
3 litres left to drink lol,me and the missis and daughter supped about 15 litres last week :eek:

also i forgot to take the sg before i started and after,but when i make some next week il take the readings

Back