Home Brew Equipment and kits at least 50% off instore at tesco

am deffo up for having a go at this. is it as easy as the starter kit makes out ?. also dont want to look a right pleb when i get the check out and its over 20 quid. any advice lads

just follow the instructions in the kits.

the most important thing seems to be keeping it at the right temperature while the fermentation is taking place

not sure what you mean by it being over £20. the are reduced in all the shops that stock them.

not sure how many do stock them, i only know if one i use in greenock.

phone the customer services and ask them what shops stock homebrew kits in your area

Last edited:
just been and don't sell them apparently according to customer services nowhere in Sheffield or the Nottingham area sells them :(

the chesterfield tesco sells them, does that not come under these areas??

Sterilization most important, then temperature.
If not sterilized beer will be no good.

yes, forgot about that, that is the most important thing. all of the equipment needs sterilised. the brew buddy kits come with steriliser

To those who are thinking of getting in to homebrewing, while the brewbuddy kits and winebuddy kits seem cheap in my experience they are not very good. Coopers kits come out alright as long as you use spray dried malt extract to improve body and flavour. If you want to keep costs down dextrose is fine but it will make the beer thinner. The 2 can premium kits are were you want to be heading if you want to make decent beer. You can ofcourse expand to extract recipe's partial mashes or all grain beers. ;)

Woodfordes are excellent for premium kits, as for dextrose it's quicker and cleaner and no over sweet taste left.

I am not comapring dextrose to spraymalt, but sugar.

Last edited:
Woodfordes are excellent for premium kits, as for dextrose it's quicker and cleaner and no over sweet taste left.

I am not comapring dextrose to spraymalt, but sugar.

Yeah i agree table sugar has never given me any good results unless used in a cider kit. Dextrose is fine as it ferments right out it just doesn't add any body to the beer which is ok with lighter ales but for my stouts and real ales i like to add more body with spray malts. Beer enhancer is quite good too and works out cheaper than spray malts.

Wow thanks to this thread ive just been to my local home brew center Homebrew Supermarket in Runcorn i didnt even know it existed
and received a thorough intro to the brew scene by the owners,must have been two hours.
I was going to go to Tesco but as the owners were so welcoming and informative i was more than
happy to spend my money there
a couple of hours later as i type this with my two tubs slowly brewing a pilsner lager and a sauvignon blanc im like a kid in a sweet shop trawling the net trying to
find out as much as i can on the subject,nice one youtube/craigtube
So thanks to the original poster and subsequent posts for introducing me to my new hobby
Davel

Wow thanks to this thread ive just been to my local home brew center Homebrew Supermarket in Runcorn i didnt even know it existed
and received a thorough intro to the brew scene by the owners,must have been two hours.
I was going to go to Tesco but as the owners were so welcoming and informative i was more than
happy to spend my money there
a couple of hours later as i type this with my two tubs slowly brewing a pilsner lager and a sauvignon blanc im like a kid in a sweet shop trawling the net trying to
find out as much as i can on the subject,nice one youtube/craigtube
So thanks to the original poster and subsequent posts for introducing me to my new hobby
Davel

Nothing beats a proper home brew shop. You don't get any help or advice from tesco's or wilkos.

Watching his videos on wine making :).

Hmm, for the cost of 8 bottles when out I can get a luxury starter pack and 30 bottles of Merlot... I believe I may invest...

Can I re-use screw cap bottles after sterilising or will I get contamination problems?

Last edited:
I see he doesn't use the fermenter but transfers from the bin to a glass carboy. The kits have a bin and a fermenter so is the fermenter used for the secondary fermentation?

yeah it will

i just done some wine ready now and i used 1 bin for fermenting and another bin for adding
stabaliser and finnings before racking wine off

as for the screw tops i think you be able to use them for a tempory solution,if you gonna store
your wine for a few months its recomended to use proper corks and a corker (which i need to get meself
in the next day or 2)

just sampled some now the missis is impressed aswell, very little touch of cloudyness, not dry not sweet not bitter or vinagery just need a day to let it all go back to normal before bottling

Everything is in the kit is it?

Like steriliser and whatnot.

Trying to select a room for fermentation.

Kitchen would be better in case of a wine flood catastrophe but it's a bit cool.

Does the immersion heater fit the 5 gallon bin? How does the airlock fit if this uses a bored bung?

Last edited:
i recon you be better using a belt rather than immersion heater
cos you have to drill the hole in your lid to the same size as the bung
im gettin a belt for winter

edit i never got this kit i got one from me local brewshop
2 bins with taps
beer keg with tap
sterilising stuff
spoon
hydrometer
thermometer
syphon tube to go on end of the taps

Last edited:
My kitchen seems to be 20C but I'm concerned about night time temperature dips. This room is more constant but I need some sort of anti-flood protection :).

Seems he's out of heating belts at the minute :(.

Back