Help please! How to connect 3 fixed satellite dishes with 2 receivers?

MartyMacfly

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi Chaps!
I am waiting for a new satellite receiver (a DM600 PVR) to add to my TM5402 and was wondering what would be the best option:
I have 3 fixed dishes (Hotbird, Sky and Turksat) and they are all connected to a multiswitch (4 sat to 1 receiver) to the Technomate 5402.
I now have a DM600 PVR coming and was wondering what is the best option to connect both receivers to the 3 dishes? What kind of switches do I need and where can I get them?
I cannot get those switches with H&V lnb input as my set up is a collective fixed satellite dish set up in an appartmment block
Or is there another way? I understand that the DM can communicate with the TM. So without any direct connection to a dish can I still watch TV channels on the DM?

not sure what your trying to achive you could hook up the Dm with the loop through but you will only be able to watch the same transponder as the tm,with network cable the Dm can act as a server to the tm so the tm would be the Dm's client.
Do you want to be able to watch anything on 3 sats on the two boxes at the same time in different rooms? Then the best thing would be to get an other feed/cable from the collective fixed satellite dish if this is possible.
If there is an other kind of switch you can use i'm sure someone will post it,but maybe explain a bit more what you want to get out of the setup.

thijss26;2077779 Do you want to be able to watch anything on 3 sats on the two boxes at the same time in different rooms? Then the best thing would be to get an other feed/cable from the collective fixed satellite dish if this is possible. If there is an other kind of switch you can use i'm sure someone will post it said:
Hi Thijss
Yes it is exactly what I want to do. I want to be able to watch any channels from any receivers but in the same room thought. The annoying bit is when I record a programm I can only watch a limited number of channel from the same transponder. What I want is to watch anything from any other dishes while I am recording on another receiver.
I was thinking about buying a Zinwell 6 X 8 Multi-Switch which seems to take up to 6 dishes out to 8 receivers. If this can be connected from the outlet plate I have installed in the living room then great!!! (at the moment I have a splitter connecting all 3 dishes to the TM). Otherwise I will have to connect 28e to 1 receiver and then turksat & hotbird to another one.
Any other suggestions are welcome. Just bare in mind that the installation is a communal one so I cannot disrupt anything and put a quad lnb and run my own connection!:angelwing

hi marty,
i bit of noobie and just come across your query (i know nearly half a year later, Lol) ,and read with intrest that you use splitter. When you have 2 boxes you will have to set 1 box to "single sat" or a splitter with "lnb power pass thru on 1 output" CORRECT ME IF I WRONG ANYONE. Let me know wot your solution/outcome was if any. Timelord

I understand What he is asking. With your current setup you can only record within the same transponder the other satellite receiver is using at that moment.
So the info you are giving us corresponds with your findings.
You cannot split a satellite signal. there is no solution for your setup. you need to change your setup.

You can put Twin or Quad LNB's and use 2 x 4/1 diseqc switch(TWIN LNB setup) or 4 x (Quad LNB setup) 4/1 diseqc switch.
Of course you will have to put an extra satellite cable for each individual tuner needed starting from the diseqc switch towards your choosen room /dm600/ ...

the same goes for a multiswitch which I'll explaing a bit further in here.

for every tuner you will need a new Satellite cable coming from behind the multiswitch.
Also multiswitch setup are mostly put in a waterthight electric box and need electricity to function.

As Mc fly tries to explain :
At this moment he has access towards a Multiswitch 4 Satellites ?, 1 tuner. This seems a bit odd. As most multiswitches with 4 Satellites support have 4 - 6 - 8 - 12 - 16 - 24 output.(tuner)

So maybe it is not a multiswitch But a Diseqc Switch 4/1 he is using at this moment.(I'm pretty sure?)

SO he should change the LNB's into Collectieve LNB's named QUattro . satellites = 3 satellites x 4(High H/V- LowH/V) = 12 cables towards a new multiswitch.
He needs a multiswitch witch support for 4 satellites and output for 4 tuners (standard)
CHESS for examples 17/4 or 17/6 or 17/8

Every Quattro LNB which represents 1 satellite has always 4 cables going to the multiswitch, the multiswitch is diseqc 2.0 compatible
so 17/4 (4 satellites x 4 cables = 16 + 1 Terrestrial antenne Input = 17), output towards = 4 individual satellite tuners
so 17/6 (4 satellites x 4 cables = 16 + 1 Terrestrial antenne Input = 17), output towards = 6 individual satellite tuners

As for a side note. There is a 'tool' which let you run a twin LNB setup over 1 satellite cable. (even 2 x diseqc 1.0 should be possible)
it is called multiband converter Johansson 9640. But i'm not in favor fo such a 'magic' ... better put extra cabling instead of using 'hocus pocus'.

Last edited:
Back