Help me modify my PSP 1003

DodgyTech

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

Don't crucify me, I've been looking around for guides and at the stickies to help myself, but there are so many versions of firmware and PSP versions, I just can't find what I need to use to modify mine.

I have a PSP 1003 with v4.05.

I don't think I need pandora's battery as the firmware isn't too high and it isn't a PSP 3000.

Do I need ChickHEN? I'm not too sure how up to date some of the info I have found are. I would be grateful if someone could bring me up to speed and point me in the right direction.

I take it that all I can do is play ISO's? There are no Apps for the PSP are there?

Thanks in advance

Pandora will work on a 1003 and in my opinion would be the easiest choice.
chickHEN would also work although i have never used it, you would have to update to official 5.03 to use it i believe.

you can do much more than play ISO's on a PSP.
there are loads of homebrew app's for the PSP....like old console emulators...snes..mega drive and much more.

Last edited:
Pandora will work on a 1003 and in my opinion would be the easiest choice.
chickHEN would also work although i have never used it, you would have to update to official 5.03 to use it i believe.

you can do much more than play ISO's on a PSP.
there are loads of homebrew app's for the PSP....like old console emulators...snes..mega drive and much more.
thanks for the reply Kryton. I thought Pandora battery was for unbricking and PSP's that have a high firmware revision!!

So I use a Pandora battery along with a pandora card to install a custom firmware?

My PSP has an icon that enables me to update the firmware, but I don't want to update to something which has been patched by Sony.

So is this the right order of things: ?

1. Update to the required official firmware (necessary? already have a low firmware which I hope would be easier to get custom f/w onto)
2. Use pandora battery and card along with PSP grader to install custom firmware OR use chickHEN from stickies
3. Download and compress or download and copy ISO's to memory card
4. Play

Is that right?

I'm thinking of other fun apps like what we have on iPhones. Is there a vast library or opportunity for apps?

Last edited:
Also upgrade to gen5.50-d3 firmware so you can play the latest games that need firmware 6.10, I've played Tekken 6 and FIFA 10 before and after upgrading the firmware and can confirm that they DO NOT work unless you update to gen 5.50-d3, after they worked perfectly so that again proves its worth it

I've also recently downgraded a PSP1003 from the official 6.20 firmware to gen5.50-d3 which no issues at all, the guy is very happy

A pandora battery will work on phat or slim PSPs, upto the latest PSP3000 ... I use a 'proper' pandora battery I bought off eBay

I've done phats and slims, PSP1001,1003 and 2000's all with the same battery and exactly same method. I prefer to install 5.00m33 then update to 5.50-d3, its all on one memory stick so no need to have two or more sticks

thanks for the reply Kryton. I thought Pandora battery was for unbricking and PSP's that have a high firmware revision!!

So I use a Pandora battery along with a pandora card to install a custom firmware?

My PSP has an icon that enables me to update the firmware, but I don't want to update to something which has been patched by Sony.

So is this the right order of things: ?

1. Update to the required official firmware (necessary? already have a low firmware which I hope would be easier to get custom f/w onto)
2. Use pandora battery and card along with PSP grader to install custom firmware OR use chickHEN from stickies
3. Download and compress or download and copy ISO's to memory card
4. Play

Is that right?

I'm thinking of other fun apps like what we have on iPhones. Is there a vast library or opportunity for apps?

pandora is for unbricking PSP's but it also works on working psp's to.
if you go with the pandora option then you dont have to upgrade to any official firmware.
you just pop the battery and card in then install CFW.
then update to CFW 5.50 gen-d as scrapyard said.

i would go with grader 8 (in the stickies) then use one of the easy installers to get you to 5.50 gen-d

or this: Digital World Cable Satellite Console Forum - Downloads - 5.50 xgen V2
never used that though so maybe madnlooney or JTH can give you some info on that 1.
everything you need is in the stickies or downloads.

if you go with chickHEN you would have to manualy update your PSP to 5.03.
you would have to get the 5.03 EBOOT update and put it in the game folder in a folder called UPDATE.
then run the update from the game / memory card option.

pspiso and psp-hacks have loads of homebrew app's for PSP's.
you will also find firmware eboots and any other files you need on either of them to.

Last edited by a moderator:
if u get hold of a pandora battery use psp grader 8 on card as said.
but instead of updating to gend 3 use the gend 3 final in stickies on the same card as grader to update pandora files,then that way any psp upto and including 395 firmware will be put straight on custom 5.50gend3.

have a read here https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/231757/

Aaaargh, lots of new words and terms brought up here! lol

Thanks for the replies guys, will have a good read again and do my usual searching around to fill in any blanks before I bother you again :)

no worrys mate. if you get stuck just ask. we will help as much as we can

Just had a quick glance around and I can't seem to find pandora batteries on flebay, are there any reputable places to buy from?

Also, can't seem to see any guide as to what I should do once I've got one... - EDIT: Ignore this, just realised that JTH has already answered this part for me lol!!

Last edited:
Okay, trying to convert my fat battery to pandora battery. I have taken the ospbt_060 folder and put it in a folder I created in the PSP folder called "GAME4XX" , went to the memory stick menu on the games menu int he psp and there is nothing there.

I tried putting the contents of the ospbt_060 folder into the GAME4XX folder as well but that didnt work.

How do I do this? Also, will I be able to set my battery back to normal mode after?

EDIT: Could this be because my PSP is not modified yet? I was using the link from this thread: https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/231757/

sorry not been on today m8
u need custom psp to do the battery with that open sourse .
dont buy that its to dear.
send me ur battery and ill do it and yes u can change it back.

Assuming you are in UK, try here :

It looks just like the one I bought, and I remember I paid something like that with free P+P and its paid for itself many times over

PSP Pandora Battery

I've just looked on eBay as well, nothing, but that doesn't mean its not available. I'll bet a lot of the PSP online shops via eBay will stock them

On a side note, I've just bought one of those twin microsd card adaptors for my PSP I've flashed and it works perfectly, I now have a 12GB memory card with a 4GB and 8GB microsd card inserted. Both are different brands and different speeds, ones a class 6 the other is a class 4 and work perfectly together

BUT, I found out it appears you MUST format each card in slot 1 using the memory card format option on your PSP, then put them both in the adaptor and then copy any ISO's over, otherwise it WILL only recognise one card if its already got games on it

The adaptors are pounds, I think I paid £3 with free P+P, well worth it

If you're a bit mad, you could in theory have a 64GB PSP memory stick !!

Last edited:
Whoa that's crazy stuff there. What's the max size I can have in a PSP? Is it as big as the card is or is there a limit set by the PSP?

Excellent!! With JTH's help, I've got CFW 5.50 gen d3 on my psp. Now off to get me some g4mes ;-]

Thank you Kryton, TheScrapYard and JTH for all your helpful tips and info.

Can I put USA games on the PSP?

Edit: Reading comments of the games, noticed this question has been answered and it seems like I can. The region was only for UMD games

Last edited:
You can play any region, I have the JAP release of Paradius and it plays perfectly, I don't really bother checking the region of what the game is, USA or PAL, they both play perfectly of my Gen5.50-d3 PSP 1003

And thats with teh default settings, I haven't changed anything on the firmware or recovery menu with regards to fooling games to think the pSP is another region, so far every game I have tried works perfectly

The only game that did refuse to work was Pangya, but there is a patched release of that as it has protection that causes problems running it, so with teh patched release I eventually found and downloadedit works perfectly

Back