Help formatting 500gb internal drive

BIG-HOL

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi guys, i recently purchased a ssd to use as my OS drive, then i attached the 500gb drive that used to serve the OS into bay 2 of my laptop, but sometimes it still tries to boot into the 2nd drive and i get an error on screen when this happens, and my laptop wont boot up, iv went into device manager and tried to format the 500gb drive, could anyone take a look at the pic and help me with whats going on as i aint got a clue, whats the healthy oem partition in disk 1, im guessing thats the problem, i dont know, lol, when i get the error at bootup i have to go into bios and reset the drives so the SSD drive boots 1st, which should be set as basic and which should be dynamic. any help how to properly delete or setup the 2nd drive so it dosnt try to boot. it works fine most the time just randomly when i restart it tries to boot into 2nd drive and i get the error at startup.

Capture.JPG

thanks mate downloading now, does anyone know exactly where i need to go for once iv booted into it to try and format my drive, as iv never messed with linux before!

it looks and acts very much like DOS - let the cd load up and get to the login prompt and login as "user", with password "live".

type "fdisk" and follow the prompts
ok iv burnt the disc so ill give it a go now, be back soon!

weyyyyyy, its gone, cheers guys thats spot on, so by rights it should always boot up 1st time now, that was easy once i had the right tools for the job, thanks.
right 2nd part of, what is this 100mb partition on my OS ssd drive, is that needed or can i do the same with that and delete it, dont want to corrupt the os by deleting but im not sure its needed for anything, can anyone confirm, its disc 0 101mb unallocated im looking at, see pic ;)

Capturegone.JPG

No idea what thats for but little pob does explain in his earlier post m8,
and if you had listened to my advice in post 4 you would have been finished this hours ago,typical Geordie :Laugh::Laugh:

No idea what thats for but little pob does explain in his earlier post m8,
and if you had listened to my advice in post 4 you would have been finished this hours ago,typical Geordie :Laugh::Laugh:
lol ya right mate ill give you that, just thought they wudda been a nice easy way without burning cd's and stuff, but it worked a treat and was easy anyway so im greatful for ya help matey, even though i didnt take it at 1st ha ;)

good work matey! well done.....i'd leave that 100 meg partition on your ssd mate...it should be the MBR really....ha! good work and glad it's sorted, i noticed that the live cd was for a x86 based system, did this run as i thought you would have been 64 bit or does that not matter...just for the benifit of the tape really...lol

good work matey! well done.....i'd leave that 100 meg partition on your ssd mate...it should be the MBR really....ha! good work and glad it's sorted, i noticed that the live cd was for a x86 based system, did this run as i thought you would have been 64 bit or does that not matter...just for the benifit of the tape really...lol

It wouldn't matter as 32bit will run on 64bit dibbs :)

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk

ah - good to know should i ever need it then....thanks for the heads up. glad "hol" is sorted - little things like that can drive ya mad!

Yeah it worked spot on matey, ill just leave that 100mb partition then as its not causing any problem. Ya right mate it was driving me mad. Once again gents thanks for ya time its much appreciated!

Back