help choosing decent media player

yeah i bought it from ebuyer, iv just opened an enote describing this and opened a return item for a refund, so lets see what they say, as iv used it where do i stand if they try and hassle me and say because its been used we wont be refunding, is there anything i can do!
You wouldn't know the feature didn't work unless you used it. The Distance Selling Regulations specifically allow the customer to test purchases in their own home. If ebuyer start to play funny, either Consumer Advice, CAB or your local council's Trading Standards should be your first port of call.

Also, for future reference, restockng fees are prohibited under DSR (so all those ebay buisness listings you see with "restock fee applies" are actually unenforcable).

You wouldn't know the feature didn't work unless you used it. The Distance Selling Regulations specifically allow the customer to test purchases in their own home. If ebuyer start to play funny, either Consumer Advice, CAB or your local council's Trading Standards should be your first port of call.

Also, for future reference, restockng fees are prohibited under DSR (so all those ebay buisness listings you see with "restock fee applies" are actually unenforcable).
thanks mate, ill get back to this thread when they reply, let you know how i get on!

so now are you going to get an apple tv2 lol :p
lol, havnt gotta clue what im getting next mate in all honesty, just want a nice media player than can play most files, something with thumbnails for the cover art, not really bothered about networking but ill see whats available once/if i get my money back for this 1 1st!

Intel Core i3 2100 3.10GHz Socket 1155 3MB L3 Cache.. | Ebuyer.com
Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3 H67 Socket 1155 7.1 Channel.. | Ebuyer.com*
Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz i5 Memory Kit CL9 1.5V | Ebuyer.com
Plus DVB-T/DVB-T2 TV Tuner (I'm not up to date on these)

Hard drive and optical drive may be dictated by the case you go for. Also an ITX mobo is only needed for the smallest of cases. If you go for an mATX or ATX case you could save £20 by going for this instead: Asus P8H61-M Intel H61 Motherboard mATX Revision 3.0.. | Ebuyer.com

Thanks a lot m8 for all the time you've spent on this. I'll have a think about what you've put down......

right guys iv just setup an access point in my room for where my media player will be going, so im now looking for a networked media player that can stream movies and such, must have a internal hard drive to save files too, ie, pics, videos, music, and must also be capable of cover art or thumbnails for the films, looking at nomore than £200 max, is there any boxes out there that will automatically find the cover art for the films once there loaded on the drive! any input more than welcome!

they were abit funny at 1st saying because it wasnt technically faulty they wouldnt accept return, but i argued the toss and its getting picked up monday from there courier to go back for a refund, thanks for the help on that 1!

right guys iv just setup an access point in my room for where my media player will be going, so im now looking for a networked media player that can stream movies and such, must have a internal hard drive to save files too, ie, pics, videos, music, and must also be capable of cover art or thumbnails for the films, looking at nomore than £200 max, is there any boxes out there that will automatically find the cover art for the films once there loaded on the drive! any input more than welcome!

m8 do your self a favour have a look at the Stora and stick a hard drive in it thats about £100 spent then get an atv2 you keep asking for some thing that has pretty pictures for the movie etc, you have tried the best i.e. the xbmc on the revo and didn't get on with it. so the above is the same but at least you can send the movies and music to other devices if you so desire... oh and its tiny uses hardly any power. the stora can just go in a cupboard too as you access it remotely ;) if you want vid of my atv2 I will gladly sort it for you...

From reading on whether the WD Elements Play had the feature, the WD Live seems to be able to display thumbnails for folder cover art. I don't think it will automatically find the cover art for you though.

If zad is saying that setup will definately do what you ask might well be worth going for that option.
they were abit funny at 1st saying because it wasnt technically faulty they wouldnt accept return, but i argued the toss and its getting picked up monday from there courier to go back for a refund, thanks for the help on that 1!
Interesting.

Unless the item is damaged by the consumer, they cannot refuse a refund in the first 7 days after receipt for most off-the-shelf items under the Distance Selling Regulations. DSR allows returns for any reason, faulty or not. For example you'd be allowed to return an item purely for not asking the other half's permission ;)

mr big hol, send me £220 ;-) i will send you a xtreamer pro with 2 x 1tb drives inside and a network dongle

well this time round im gunna go for the xtreamer pro after doing abit research, hope it fits the bill

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xel-Xtreame...U0HG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313347758&sr=8-1

and this 2tb hard drive from ebay, will add another when needed.

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

can anyone find me these cheaper maybe, or any comments on either hardware, will that hard drive work well. cant order them till end of week anyway till i get my money back off the original media player i bought. love the movie jukebox software for it, its exactly what i was looking for, just hope it works aswell as it looks.

Xtreamer JukeBox Web Interface - YouTube

Xtreamer Firmware 2.4 Intro - YouTube

Some alternative hard drives:
Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 5400rpm.. | Ebuyer.com
- £39.78; slightly slower RPM than the WD20EARS, but you shouldn't notice the difference for your intended purpose (may take a few seconds more to transfer to the drive).
Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII.. | Ebuyer.com - £42.99; quicker RPM than the two WD drives but has a smaller cache/buffer size (cache difference shouldn't be noticable for most home users, RPM difference may mean it copies to the hard drive slightly quicker than a 5400 or 5900 RPM drive).

Although with postage it's only around £3 cheaper than Amazon, I cannot find the Xtreamer Pro from another known company for cheaper than the pixmania price. However, please read a few reviews on pixmania before buying...

Last edited:
thanks for the help guys, ill let you know what i decide upon, wheres the reviews for the xtreamer on pixmania, on the ones i clicked on it said no customer reviews, couldn't seem to find them!

Sorry BH, not the reviews of the Xtreamer on Pixmania, the reviews of pixmania on review sites. For example: Pixmania reviews | Customer reviews of Pixmania

DSG have been trying to turn the reputation around for the last 5 years, but made little headway. The only reason I mention it is if you are not happy with the Xtreamer and wish to return it under DSR...

Sorry BH, not the reviews of the Xtreamer on Pixmania, the reviews of pixmania on review sites. For example: Pixmania reviews | Customer reviews of Pixmania

DSG have been trying to turn the reputation around for the last 5 years, but made little headway. The only reason I mention it is if you are not happy with the Xtreamer and wish to return it under DSR...
arrrr right get ya now, yes iv heard bad things abit pixmania myself over the last year or 2, ill probably pay the little extra and get it direct from amazon, then if im not happy i know i'll have little problems returning the item, im debating weather to go for 1 big drive for it or say 2 littler 1tb drives, not sure what to do really for the best, got a few days to have a think i guess. do i not need the faster speed of the hard drive then will the 5400rpm models suffice, as i assumed faster the better.

I had a perceivable drop in access speed when downloading to and playing music from a 5900RPM 2TB SpinPoint F4 EcoGreen. When I was only doing one thing at a time I had no noticable problem.

However, for this application you shouldn't need 7200RPM drives. Connectivity for copying to the hard drive isn't clear from the Xtreamer website, but the bottle neck is going to be at the interface used, rather than the hard drive itself. 5400RPM drives have the advantage of being quieter as well as slightly cheaper.

Last edited:
Back