help building a htpc

sorry the gigabyte Ga-770t the one above i want the best motherboard i can get for about 70 quid for a phenom

sorry did not understand that so which one would you say as the asus got good reviews on ebuyer

Long post warning.
what you mean a specific layout pci and pcie ports im a bit numb lol
The 3 boards have differing PCI, PCIe x1 and PCIe x16 expansion port layouts. This can effect the type of expansion card(s) you end up choosing.

PCI and PCIe are not compatible with each other (physically or electronically). To add to the confusion there are 4 sizes of PCIe port. Though the x8 size is rarely seen, each is compatible with those that go before it (i.e. PCIe x1 will only physically accept PCIe x1 devices, yet the PCIe x16 will can be used with any x1, x4, x8 and x16 devices). To further add to the confusion, some full length PCIe slots, which look identical to x16 slots, will take x1 through x16 sized cards, yet only run them at x4 or x8 speeds.

Port numbering generally starts with the port closest to the CPU, so I've followed that standard:
Asus = PCIe x1, PCIe x16, PCI, PCI, PCIe x16 (x4 mode), PCI.
Gigabyte = PCIe x1, PCIe x16, PCIe x1, PCIe x1, PCIe x1, PCI, PCI.
MSI = PCIe x1, PCIe x16, PCIe x1, PCI, PCI, PCI.
To put the above in real terms, if you need 3 PCI devices you won't be use the Gigabyte motherboard. If you need 2 PCIe x1 devices you won't be able to use a "dual slot" graphics card on the MSI board. If you need a slot for an x4/x8/x16 card (beyond that for the graphics card) you'll "have" to get the Asus board.
From those 2 options, for a HTPC with some surfing X2 560.

If you re-encode a lot of the stuff you download burn to DVD then feel free to get the X4 955.

Remember; HD and 3D is mostly done on the graphics card...

Last edited:
right thank you for that ill go with the 560 then but for the motherboards in my case there is 7 expansions

so in time ill be getting say

.graphics card
.wifi
.sat tv tuner and maybe a freeview tuner thats all i can think of for now so which board is more suitable for them then many thanks

so in time ill be getting say

.graphics card
.wifi
.sat tv tuner and maybe a freeview tuner thats all i can think of for now so which board is more suitable for them then many thanks
(Wireless-N cards are available in USB, PCI and PCIe versions, so I've largely excluded them as a deciding factor.)

Based purely on what you've said you want, with the current gen DVB-S2 cards being PCI for the most part, I'd go for the Asus board.

This covers the off chance that DVB-T2 cards end up being PCIe x4/x8/x16 rather than PCIe x1 like the current DVB-T cards. It'll allow you install 2x sat tuners, yet not restrict you then only choosing a PCIe x1 sound card (which can run a few pounds more than the PCI model). It also affords you the opportunity to get a dual slot graphics card with the least compromise.

thank you ever so much for your help so which ram would work best with phenom 560 and the asus board also which power suply do i get for my thermaltake dh202 as i dont no which to get but dont want to pay a fortune for one

thank you ever so much for your help so which ram would work best with phenom 560 and the asus board...
Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz HyperX Blu Memory.. | Ebuyer.com - £70
... also which power suply do i get for my thermaltake dh202 as i dont no which to get but dont want to pay a fortune for one
It'll take any ATX but I'd recommend branded.

500W should do you:
Corsair 500W CX PSU - 5x SATA 2x PCI-Express | Ebuyer.com
or
OCZ Stealth Xstream II 500W PSU - 3x SATA 1x PCI-E | Ebuyer.com

Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache 173804 > 5 in stock £43.01 £36.60 £43.01 £36.60
Asus M4A785TD-V EVO 785G Socket AM3 onboard DVI VGA HDMI 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard 169532 50 in stock £66.76 £56.81 £66.76 £56.81
AMD Phenom II X2 560 Black Edition 3.3GHz Socket AM3 80w 7MB L2 Cache Retail Boxed Processor 238325 16 in stock £78.99 £67.22 £78.99 £67.22
Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz HyperX Blu Memory Kit CL9 1.7-1.9V Non-ECC Unbuffered 234967 3 in stock £70.00 £59.57 £70.00 £59.57
Corsair 500W CX PSU - 5x SATA 2x PCI-Express 240999 36 in stock £46.71 £39.75 £46.71 £39.75

so you think this is a nice setup then also i will need to get blu ray writer and tuner cards when i get some more money

right ive got consair cx 500 power supply and a thermaltake dh202 case which way does the power supply go in in a bit lost is it fan to the inside of case or straight to the side of case also the ram i got which ports do i put it in do i put it in any or a1 b1 a2 b2

Last edited:
please can anyone help we cant seem to sort a problem out we connected it all up but we get no video signal on hdmi or vga tried using pc monitor and the tv just cant get no signal for anything so cant even get to bios to start this thing up does anyone have any idea what the problem is here also we get no speaker beeps to dictate there is a problem anywere

If there are no speaker beeps that is not good news.

Strip the system down to just CPU and memory, no video card or anything else and try booting. You should get at least one beep as it starts up.

nothing at all just the same no signal also which ones do i put the ram in the blue or black

im using th 24 pin eatxpwr cable but ive just plugged the 4 pin pwr in aswell and i get the beep and video on screen now do you need to have both 4 pin and 24 pin pwr cables in

Last edited:
You need to connect the 4/8pin connector as well as the 24pin connector on today's systems.

Assuming you got the Corsair PSU above; I fitted one of these only this weekend and it seems that the 4pin connector is clipped to it's neighbour in the factory, locate the lead that looks to be terminated by an 8pin "plug" and it should separate into 2x4pin connectors via a little clip.

Last edited:
yeah got them both plugged in the 24 and the 4 pin its cause it was stuck together as an 8 i thought it never had a 4 the stupid thing been at it 2 days scratching my head lol does it matter which ones the ram goes in blue or black a1a2b1b2

Back