two power supplies on PC for hard drives

prag

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi folks i am about to put a motherboard and ram cpu together in a large tower case i have a number of hard drives which I want to add to the system but dont have enough connections on the PSU i intend to use. the other thing to note is that the mboard only has sata connections and the hard drives have ide connections, i bought an IDE PCI card to add an array to the system I have an older 750 watt which can power those older hard drives but was wondering if I could use that older power supply along with the new power supply on the system, what is worrying me is overloading the motherboard with two power supplies so I am looking for some advice to confirm that either it will or won't do this, any help or advice would be most appreciated thanks guys

Seems a little bit convoluted, Just use a splitter on the PSU and get an IDE>SATA converter for each drive.

I wouldn't expect any performance from the IDE drives though, they will be dog slow.

Seems a little bit convoluted, Just use a splitter on the PSU and get an IDE>SATA converter for each drive.

I wouldn't expect any performance from the IDE drives though, they will be dog slow.

yes i would agree but the reason is all the sata connections are used up with sata hard drives and a dvd recorder. I want to ad the older hard drives as they hold a lot of older data but having thought about it to save hassle Im just gonna buy a 1TB external hard drive it will save a lot of hassle at the end of the day thanks for the reply though

Could use an hdd docking station and just plug your older drives in as and when required

It can be done, I did it while testing a gfx card that suddenly wouldnt work in a newly rebuilt box, I used the original supply to feed ONLY the card; BUT unless you NEED to keep all of these drives long term, a usb dock that allows you to drop in a HDD and take it out when you have finished, is a better idea.

I did this last year when I first got the FTP up and running. I used 8 hard drives, 4 on the motherboard and 2 SATA cards with 2 drives each.

I had 1 power supply powering the motherboard and 4 drives and 1 powering the other 4 drives.

I had the line from the plug that the motherboard uses to tell the power supply to fire up connected on both supplies, this meant that they turned on and off together.

It worked well, but in the end I rearranged stuff when a couple of the drives died and ended up buying 2 cheap Zyxel NAS boxes from dabs and put the 4 extra drives in them. Works much better this way.

Back