Routers Help/advice with a mates broadband connection

shaun127

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
We Don't Do Walking Away. I would rather die with
Hello Lads ,

My mates on Bt adsl same as me. I get 6/7 meg he gets under 1. Had engineer in, changed main bt socket with one with built in filter? mad no difference, sent out new home hub 3 not 4 but still no different, he was getting up to 3/4 meg about a month ago and has changed nothing in house, bt say no fault on line, problem must be in house,although engineer say no then they say hes on the edge of getting a signal because of distance from exchange, any ideas? I take it even if he changed supplier it would be no better speed as they all rent adsl lines from bt.

If he runs the router from the master socket then does a speed test is it faster?

Are there any junction boxes in the house as soon as the cable enters the house?
Has he tried with other extensions disconnected?
Sometimes people use old cables with new modems etc. Has he swapped cables over?

Lastly, has speed test been done with different PC/laptop just in case of infection?

Hi,
I am having same with myself, NOT with BT but have to use their OpenReach. Was on 14.4mb and now just under 10mb....balls excusing use of the word.

My provider has advised me to move my cordless base station away from the modem although I don't believe its effecting it. My speeds dropped around 2-3 weeks ago as well though nothing has changed in my house in this period.

Get him to power modem off fo 5 or so minutes and on again. If possible around 10-11am on a weekday (Monday not great) as I have found that got me up to an extra meg when on ADSL. Maybe was luck lol

Can you pule line stats from the modem?
SNR, Attenuation and Sync Rate?

Could be a stuck profile.

Regards,
S

If he runs the router from the master socket then does a speed test is it faster?

No Ian he uses the main master socket all the time for the router, But engineer has just changed the master socket to a new type? that doesn't use a splitter or so my mate tells me.

Are there any junction boxes in the house as soon as the cable enters the house?
Has he tried with other extensions disconnected?
Sometimes people use old cables with new modems etc. Has he swapped cables over?

Lastly, has speed test been done with different PC/laptop just in case of infection?

Don't know about the cables situation but they sent him a brand new router but old stock hub 3 not 4, he has tested both a laptop wired and wireless connected on its own nothing else connected, also a mac book on its own and a desktop, none make difference

Hi,
I am having same with myself, NOT with BT but have to use their OpenReach. Was on 14.4mb and now just under 10mb....balls excusing use of the word.

My provider has advised me to move my cordless base station away from the modem although I don't believe its effecting it. My speeds dropped around 2-3 weeks ago as well though nothing has changed in my house in this period.

Get him to power modem off fo 5 or so minutes and on again. If possible around 10-11am on a weekday (Monday not great) as I have found that got me up to an extra meg when on ADSL. Maybe was luck lol

Can you pule line stats from the modem?
SNR, Attenuation and Sync Rate?

Could be a stuck profile.

Regards,
S

Thanks for reply

you may want to take a read of this

thinkbroadband :: BT Retail in Carrier Grade NAT pilot

They may be right and that there's nothing wrong. How far is he from the exchange, the speed falls off over distance. Login to your modem and get the dsl stats then use this site to see what speed the line is capable of
ADSL and ADSL2+ line speed calculator

Sounds about right for 3 miles (4.8 KM) over copper. Also, phone lines don't go in straight lines
attachment.php

No point changing if it comes over the same copper. Make sure the modem is connected to the main socket and test with no other devices (phones, Sky boxes etc) plugged in anywhere in the house

A similar thing happened to me where I used to live and it was the old copper lines that were at fault. Sky had recently installed new routers and were 'hogging' the line is best to put it. If fibre optic is an option tell him to change and not look back! :)

Back