Upgrading to BT Fibre 250 Halo 1 from BT Infinity., Engineer Help!

godzilla

New Member ++
Reaction score
HI All,

I am upgrading from Bt Infinity to the new Fibre with halo with BT. Fibre 250 with Halo 1, so 196-286mb potential.

Some help with engineer visit

What gets changed?

1. Is the bt box in the wall changed to a new one?
2. Is it new wiring, so old current setup is totally revamped?
3. Do they need their own equipment in the house running their BT Hub etc

Reason I am asking

1. I dont use the BT Hub, I am using a Asus RTAC68U and Uibiquti wifi hub
2. main BT wall box was daisy chained to a new location, when we did a extension (but original is still the main inlet).
3. I need to find the BT Hub somewhere in the loft, i don't even know which one I have!

Dont mind if it redone from the start as I can add the olther equipment back in - but, unsure what is actually happening or changing as I can't find much info online.

Anyone have this new BT fibre halo and shed some light

Cheers

I have G Fast, which I think is the generic name and Halo is BTs name for it.

The face plate gets changed and they give you a modem, this then connects to your router via a network cable, the router deals with all the network traffic but no longer acts as a modem.

Don't think the engineer will care which router you are using.

I have G Fast, which I think is the generic name and Halo is BTs name for it.

The face plate gets changed and they give you a modem, this then connects to your router via a network cable, the router deals with all the network traffic but no longer acts as a modem.

Don't think the engineer will care which router you are using.

Yeah, its a bit confusing as they said engineer has been booked to do add new wiring/box if required.

At the moment, I use the BT openreach modem which I then use the lan cable into my Asus RTAC68U, which i link into my network hubs and uibiquiti wifi discs thats my homne setup.

Just wondering what this new box and wiring is and what happens to the old BT equipment (current), half of which I don't even use!

What are you on at the moment?

What BT open reach modem do you have?

What are you on at the moment?

What BT open reach modem do you have?

Currently on Bt Infinity option 2 65-75mb dl speed with the BT openreach white mini modem, I think its the 3B version!

Someone has mentioned Gfast to me, trying to look that up now.

Gfast is what I am on.

Had the Open reach engineer in yesterday as I was only getting 40meg out of the 110 that I should get. He had no interest in what was plugged in, he would just put his meter in the socket and check from there. He said that they can not try and work out whats after the socket as every provider and user are different

Gfast is what I am on.

Had the Open reach engineer in yesterday as I was only getting 40meg out of the 110 that I should get. He had no interest in what was plugged in, he would just put his meter in the socket and check from there. He said that they can not try and work out whats after the socket as every provider and user are different

Your socket for gfast, was that new or a new one put in when you went to gfast. Someone mentioned that the white modem box is not used anymore afterwards and you get a new bt hub

depends on ISP I got a modem, also depends on what the engineer has in his van

depends on ISP I got a modem, also depends on what the engineer has in his van

Mainly because all my house is wired with cat7a and a main switch and this already feeds 3 rooms and a ubiquiti ac access point for the wifi

I am going to have a right headache as the main BT socket is daisy chained to another room to the office (extension) where all my switches and modem/router boxes are located!

Unless I run new cat 7a cable from the office back to the main socket. Move the router/modem only to the main socket room. Plug the cable into the router and use that cat 7a run back to plug back into the switches in the office - so working backwards!

Just have to wait then to see what the engineer says!

GFast is very sensitive, the engineers seem to hate it, I would be surprised if they will install anywhere but the master socket, although they may be willing to install a new master socket in your office.

Thanks Jon,

I had a feeling that it will be the master, which is fine, as I can run cables from there, but the million dollar question is will they give a seperate modem and hub.

I am unsure what a BT combo can do and can it be configged to become a modem only for example.

Also new issue someone mentioned that any router should work with G.Fast, I am a little confused with that as I thought only certain routers woulod would work.

I wonder if my RT-AC86U will work and if so i dont need to buy another router.

There are both Gfast modems and routers, what the engineer has is any ones guess. If you get a modem is simple to feed to to your router, even if you get a router you may be able to put it modem only mode

Thanks Jon,

Hopefully I might be able to pick the engineers brains on getting them to help get the router into modem mode.

This will hopefully save my current setup.

most likely you will just get the modem it is the simplest solution for open reach

just a quick one if i may is this pure fibre or is it still a fibre to copper option???

most likely you will just get the modem it is the simplest solution for open reach

Few days to go, I will be running a Cat7a cable bewteen the 2 rooms as a backup just incase. Already had the cable cut and ready to use.

I still can't get halo, and I'm not in the countryside either!

Back