Head under fire for teachers trip to spain

K

Inactive User
Reaction score
This is my daughters school, The mrs had to book the friday off to look after our daughter..

Got to school this morning and there where tv crews and people signing petitions.. lol

A headteacher who flew with his staff to Barcelona for a weekend training trip has been heavily criticised by a local councillor.

Adrian Guy and 20 teachers from Whitegate End primary school in Oldham, visited the Spanish city last weekend.

The £5,691 cost of the trip was paid out of the school's training budget and staff contributions.

Oldham councilor Dave Hibbert, who represents Chadderton South ward for Labour, criticised the school's decision.

He said: "I can understand the need for training, but I don't see why this could not have been done locally - it would have benefited the local economy.

"It's a cavalier decision that is going to antagonise people and certainly sends out the wrong message.

"It makes them look like they are being careless about spending money that does not need to be spent and is not their money."

Last week a similar training trip to Marbella, Spain, for up to 80 staff at Edensor Technology College in Longton, Staffordshire, was cancelled at the last minute.

The college's headmaster, Richard Mercer, called off the two-day conference because of "pressure from media interest" over such trips in the current economic climate.

But the Oldham headteacher justified his school's trip to Spain on the grounds that it tied into a school cultural programme, as well as the school's development plan.

He said: "The timing of the visit coincided with the launch of our second whole school cultural awareness month, which will see many visitors come to the school and several educational visits for our pupils throughout October.

"Barcelona was chosen because the artists Miro and Picasso have been studied in school, and the city exemplifies how to celebrate and embrace culture."

Guy added: "Our work for last year's cultural awareness month was celebrated as a model of good practice at the council's community cohesion conference in September."

The headteacher said the excursion, part of four days set aside for staff training and curriculum planning during the term, had the full backing of the school's governing body, including parent and council representatives.

He also claimed that the possibility of running the training programme in the UK was explored, but the Catalonian capital proved to be the cheapest option – at just £271 per teacher.

Oldham Council's service director for children, young people and families, Janet Doherty, commented: "How school employees are professionally developed is down to each individual school and its governing body to decide within its own budgets."

Head under fire for teachers' trip to Barcelona | Education | guardian.co.uk

Nobody gets a foreign trip as part of their training and doesn't look at it as a perk. I suppose if the governing body OKd it then it must be OK.

i know a lad that works in hospital admin . you know the lot the ones that work out where the money is spent . well they a whole lot of them were sent to florida for a week to see how one hospital saved money lol . i swear its a bloody joke . i said would video calls or emails even telephone calls not have done . he says its part of the job . he spend s more time in training courses than work every few weeks he is off to londond for 3-4 days . no wornder the nhs is in a state . and all this with public money

its a joke i tell you waste of money ,and let me tellyou all my daughter ever brings home from that school is letters begging for stuff, the actual stuff they went to so called learn was tought to my daughter 5 weeks ago?? and all the parents running around sighning petitions to support the teachers are not right in the head . im sorry but to teack kids about barcelona art and culture is not really a main stream subject now is it all in all a piss up for the teachers while doing what interests them not our kids. sack them all.....

its a joke i tell you waste of money ,and let me tellyou all my daughter ever brings home from that school is letters begging for stuff, the actual stuff they went to so called learn was tought to my daughter 5 weeks ago?? and all the parents running around sighning petitions to support the teachers are not right in the head . im sorry but to teack kids about barcelona art and culture is not really a main stream subject now is it all in all a piss up for the teachers while doing what interests them not our kids. sack them all.....

Is your daughter at this school aswell lol?? small world if she is.

indeed she is yr 5 mr crawford

What a small world..

Mines only in her second year.. :(

We had parents even the night before.. they rushed us all out by saying there isnt much to talk about.. "just having this meeting to get to know each other"

What a joke..

I spent a weeks training in Aberdeen in 1987...
learnt absolutely f*ck all about the job but I did learn that shaving your pubes off doesn't actually get rid of crabs.

WTF?

Don't get me started on teachers - really should go in the rant room.

But £30k starting salary with 12 weeks holiday & then extra time off for 'training' plus time for doing lessons/marking in school time (PPA time I think?) also more assitants than kids.

my schools head drives a Jag convertible (Primary school with 180 kids) Don't give kids homework as they can't be arsed to mark it.

When I was at school 35 kids in a class with 1 teacher & I still got 10 O'levels. NB I took English GCSE last year did no work (other than coursework) & still got an A*. It's definately true that exams have got easier (I got a D in O'level Eng Lit & C in Eng Lang in '76)

Aaah that feels better. Sorry for hijacking thread with a rant.

Back