Linux hdd problem

edogg

Inactive User
Reaction score
as the tv partiton on my usb drive was getting full I have used easus partition manager to increase the partition size
I also installed ext2 volume manager on my windows laptop I mounted the usb hdd to windows 7 and copied the folders to my win7 laptop before increasing the size of the ext3 usb partition and then copied the folders back to this drive but when i mount it back on my RPi I cannot see the the tv folder the usb drive is mounted but I cannot see the folder I just copied over. I can see it in windows !!

Just tried cd /mnt/share
Sudo ls -la
This is the output
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Mar 22 13:24
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Feb 4 10:44
drwxrrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 Mar 22 13:24 tv

But this is not the folder with my shows in it is folder I made as new folder

Have to tried a 'sudo ls -la' to list all files/folders as root?

Just tried cd /mnt/share
Sudo ls -la
This is the output
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Mar 22 13:24
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Feb 4 10:44
drwxrrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 Mar 22 13:24 tv

But this is not the folder with my shows in it is folder I made as new folder

I have apparently corrupted my data base because sickbeard errors say database corrupt or disk full

I have apparently corrupted my data base because sickbeard errors say database corrupt or disk full
all sorted now but for some reason I dont understand the small partition was mounted as sda1 and now the bigger partition is mounted as sda5: sda1 is not mentioned in dmesg as being mounted

If you run 'mount' or 'cat /etc/fstab' is it shown? Or use gparted to look at the partitions...

If you run 'mount' or 'cat /etc/fstab' is it shown? Or use gparted to look at the partitions...

hi this is the output from cat /etc/fstab
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/mmcblk0p1 /boot vfat defaults 0 2
/dev/mmcblk0p2 / ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1
/dev/sda5 /mnt/share/ ext3 defaults 0 0

the sda5 is the partition I have all the show files on now when i enlarged it i wiped the old partition I just wondered why it wasnt found as sda1 any more

The partition manager will probably show you but I doubt it's any cause for concern.

Thanks for helping as i am learning about linux slowly I thought the new partition should still be sda1 the drive only has 3 partitons a 7gb fat 12 90gb ext3 and the rest is ntfs with various files on it. The fat12 is unused but i could not get the ext3 partition to extend into it so i formated to fat12

You'd have been better just deleting the fat partition and creating a new ext3 - fat is very crude while ext has journalling so it's much less prone to error.

For every partition there will be an entry in /dev so I suspect that all that happened is the system saw the entry and moved onto the next one up. You could have forced the partition number but it's no big deal :)

ok thanks
the fat partition isnt in use when i used easeus partition manager I deleted 2 partitions 1 ext3 which was the show folder for sab and share and 1 partition which was actually storing a live version of win 8 . now when I tried to create a ext3 partition using all the space it left this 7 gb unallocated partition so i formatted it and fat 12 was just the available format. It is the first partition on a 250gb hdd I dont intend to use it but the only way i could get it as part of the ext3 partition would be to make the ext3 partition active and when i did that the RPi did not see the hdd at all

Back