Having Trouble Flashing NTL 250, TFTP Perhaps? Probably Basic Problem, Please Advise!

blobert

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm trying to flash my NTL 250 box exactly as per the instructions in the Ambit 250 Ultimate package.
It started off quite well, I was able to connect to the modem using hyperterminal but I did not get too far. Here is what came up:
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.
Two possible things strike me, first the Autonegotiation failed, I think this is to do with the Ethernet connection, but seeing as the cable feed is not plugged in perhaps this is alright?
Secondly is the Tftp timeout. I have tftpd32.exe running in the background as per the instructions, the only thing that seems different is that the "Server Interfaces" address in the screenshot in the instructions has a different address to the one on my computer and there is no way to change it (it is a drop down menu).
Any ideas on where I am going wrong or what to try doing next would be much appreciated. I'd love to be able to get this up and running tomorrow.
Thanks in advance,
Robert

Hi guys,
I'm trying to flash my NTL 250 box exactly as per the instructions in the Ambit 250 Ultimate package.
It started off quite well, I was able to connect to the modem using hyperterminal but I did not get too far. Here is what came up:
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.
Two possible things strike me, first the Autonegotiation failed, I think this is to do with the Ethernet connection, but seeing as the cable feed is not plugged in perhaps this is alright?
Secondly is the Tftp timeout. I have tftpd32.exe running in the background as per the instructions, the only thing that seems different is that the "Server Interfaces" address in the screenshot in the instructions has a different address to the one on my computer and there is no way to change it (it is a drop down menu).
Any ideas on where I am going wrong or what to try doing next would be much appreciated. I'd love to be able to get this up and running tomorrow.
Thanks in advance,
Robert

hi make sure u have the bin file u are trying to flash in same folder as tftp32
and dont start tftp until u have opened hyper terminal

the only thing that seems different is that the "Server Interfaces" address in the screenshot in the instructions has a different address to the one on my computer and there is no way to change it (it is a drop down menu).
Thanks in advance,
Robert
ur network card is set incorrect u need to manually set ithe ip to 192.168.100.10 and the gateway to 192.168.100.1 like it is in the tut here
In Windows networking:
Right click on your connection and highlight as per the pic.
Ok now click on properties and you will see this window.
Click on use the following IP address: and enter these settings.
Set your IP address to: 192.168.100.10
Set your GateWay to: 192.168.100.1
Once done click ok and then minimise network
conections.
Start tftpd32.exe and it should work

Thanks guys, I'll try this later.

I'm using the firmware from the Ambit Ultimate pack, in another thread someone said not to.

What is the best/easiest firmware to flash?

I am on NTL in Dublin

I tired your suggestions but none of them worked.

One thing I noticed is that in the tftpd32.exe server interfaces box it comes up 127.0.0.1.

I see from another post this suggests my pc is not seeing the modem and I'm getting an internal ip.

The suggestion offered was to try connecting the modem and repairing the network connection if that fails reboot the modem and the pc.

When the modem ethernet cable is plugged in it shows up as "Network cable unplugged" and does not recognise that it's plugged into the modem (thus there is no option to repair the connection). I've tried rebooting the modem and PC but it's not doing anything.

Interestingly when I plug in the USB connection into the modem, it shows up fine as Network Connection 2 and the correct address shows up in the tftpd32.exe server box (192.168.100.10) but I don't think you can flash it this way (as when I power the modem on in hyperterminal and press "p" it seems to only connect via Max232 and it shows up as "Network cable unplugged" again with the working usb connection disappearing).

This is most irratating and I'm sure must be just something simple I'm doing wrong?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert

When that happens - just close down tftpd32 and start it up again that tends to help in my experience!!

Thanks, have tried doing that a few times but no joy, it just stays at the same address: 127.0.0.1.

Thanks, have tried doing that a few times but no joy, it just stays at the same address: 127.0.0.1.

Hi
Have you got more than 1 network card?
Also no feed on modem, antivirus off, no router
When you open tfpd server interface should read as above

IWhen the modem ethernet cable is plugged in it shows up as "Network cable unplugged" and does not recognise that it's plugged into the modem (thus there is no option to repair the connection). I've tried rebooting the modem and PC but it's not doing anything.
its either enthernet port on the modem is damage or u dont have a active network card (probably needs drivers or enabling in the bios) so check ethernet port on the modem and make sure its not damage and if u have another modem router etc... connected it up and see if u get a connects in ur local area connection , if the pc is fine then the problem is with the modem the ethernet port is no good. if u dont get a connect in the local area connection after connecting another modem or router... then u will need to use another pc to flash the modem

Thanks again for the help guys.

I don't think there is a problem with the network card in the PC I'm using as when I plug in my regular network cable from my router and regular internet connection it works fine.
I also tried plugging connecting the modem to another computer but it would not show up (still saying connection unplugged) but it worked fine when connected via USB.

This would seem to suggest a problem with the ethernet port on the modem, although the modem looks fine and the person selling it on eBay said it was working fine. I'm guessing the Ethernet port has to be working to flash the box, it can't be done via usb?

Is there anything else I should try?

Thanks again.

try wiggling the the ethernet cable around on the modem and see if it connects also look in the port on the modem to see if any of wires on the port looks out of place if still no luck then the port is duff u will need to get a new 1 or ur money back as this is quite a common fault with the 250's

Last edited:
try wiggling the the ethernet cable around on the modem and see if it connects also look in the port on the modem to see if any of wires on the port looks out of place if still no luck then the port is duff u will need to get a new 1 or ur money back as this is quite a common fault with the 250's

pmsl money back from an ebay seller.

Oh well, I guess I can get another one and try that.

Anyone know where I can get one from that is not faulty?

Thanks

Oh well, I guess I can get another one and try that.
Anyone know where I can get one from that is not faulty?
Thanks

Definately not Ebay lol!! I hear there are so many bricks that wimpey are buying them up for a new estate!!

Well if anyone can offer me a working one I'd be happy to pay you, if, it's pre-flashed that would be all the better:)

Otherwise I'll have to go the eBay route again. I have asked about 1 or 2 of the ones for sale at the moment and the buyers assure me they are working fine...

Well if anyone can offer me a working one I'd be happy to pay you, if, it's pre-flashed that would be all the better:)
Otherwise I'll have to go the eBay route again. I have asked about 1 or 2 of the ones for sale at the moment and the buyers assure me they are working fine...
look out for the vm van and get a 255 off him for a about tenner

Over in Ireland so it would be the NTL man I think:)

Back