DVB - PC Cards Having to go Sky

elyl

Inactive User
Reaction score
Well, looks like I'm moving house to a non-cabled area which sucks ass cos I've spent quite a bit on getting cable up and running with MCE.
So, I'm going to have to go Sky to get all the channels. I know there's no Sky hack, but has anyone had any luck using a Sky card with a DVB-S card? What CAM would I need? Does the card auto-update, or do you need to put it back into the subbed box all the time? Any way to share the card between 2 DVB-S cards?

Stupid Virgin, would be a whole lot easier if they just dug up the roads and cabled my new house!

Well, looks like I'm moving house to a non-cabled area which sucks ass cos I've spent quite a bit on getting cable up and running with MCE.
So, I'm going to have to go Sky to get all the channels. I know there's no Sky hack, but has anyone had any luck using a Sky card with a DVB-S card? What CAM would I need? Does the card auto-update, or do you need to put it back into the subbed box all the time? Any way to share the card between 2 DVB-S cards?

Stupid Virgin, would be a whole lot easier if they just dug up the roads and cabled my new house!

never looked into sky but there are a few forums around.....are you going to sell ur 2 floppydtvs / cams as i would think there would be a few here interested?

mind you maybe mmds will be rolled out to the uk one day?

h**p://www.iolfree.ie/~icdg/cable_mmds.htm

cheers

Lol - vultures circling (it was the first thing that crossed my mind :) )

There's a big thread on www.avforums.com on getting Sky working with a subs card...

taken off VM site

Moving from on cable to non cable services
I'm moving to a non cabled area, can I still receive services?

Absolutely! If you are moving into a non-cable area then we can sort things out so that your connection is ready and waiting for you when you move in. Give us a call on 0845 454 1111 (it costs the same as a local rate call) let us know your new address and phone number and we can set things up at your new place. Just remember to give us 14 days notice so we've got enough time to sort things out.

What is non cable and what can I get?

If your new home is in a non cable area, then we'll deliver new services to you down your BT phoneline.
Right now you can get:

Free TV (with over 40 channels)
Fast reliable broadband
Flexible home phone package
A very different mobile service

worth giving them a ring to found out more

And what they actually mean.....lol

Free TV (with over 40 channels) (Freeview..)

Fast reliable broadband (ADSL down your BT line...lucky to get 4 meg....)

Flexible home phone package (Still with BT but has CPS on it so you are billed by Vermin)

anyway back to the important question.........when you selling the cards and how much :Laugh::Biggrin2:

Will probably be a couple of months before I'm selling stuff. 2x FloppyDTV-Cs, 2xBlue Zeta cams, 2xFuncards.

I see the options for Sky are very limited... 55 quid a month to get all the channels I, ahem, currently get... Dreambox, otherwise I'll have to keep swapping the card back into the Sky box... need to get 2 subscriptions if I want to watch one channel and record another (ridiculous!)... but there might be some hope, just found some info about using a Dreambox as a cardsharing server, and a device called cardlink to 'clone' the card into 2 DVB-S cards in the PC. Don't think anyone's got a working system using this yet, though.

Yeah man, I want to go cardsharing, but as far as I can see there's no way to do it with Windows Media Center, which is kinda annoying.

Card-sharing requires the equivalent of a soft-cam. So, you can get it working on the likes of MyTheatre/ProgDVB, but not with MCE. Could go the DVBSBridge route, but that's flaky and doesn't support dual tuners (which is the point of me wanting to cardshare anyway).

Card-sharing requires the equivalent of a soft-cam. So, you can get it working on the likes of MyTheatre/ProgDVB, but not with MCE. Could go the DVBSBridge route, but that's flaky and doesn't support dual tuners (which is the point of me wanting to cardshare anyway).

Ah!.

Hadn't occured to me that dvbsbridge was single tuner only. Stuffed then. :D

I think I read somewhere that you'd looked at card sharing CAMs, but "they didn't support NDS" is that the Diablo Wireless out of the picture then?

Yeah, Diablo Wireless looked like the perfect solution, but doesn't officially support NDS. No mention of any "unofficial" support on any of the usual forums either. There's a few solutions like that, where you get a wireless/wired fake viewing card to pop into your CAM, and the master reader pumps out the card info to all the fake cards, but none with NDS support. Pain in the erse.

cant u use dreambox as a cardserver for u dvb-s pci card ?

Yep, but can't use MCE. Could use DVBviewer or some other ugly crap, but kinda misses the point of having a nice media center PC.

it will work in media portal and look nice to. you should looking that. plus media portal support HD. MCE doesn't

I am considering Media Portal. I've tried it before, but found it well flaky, looking forward to the version 2 complete rewrite, but that seems to be crawling along at a snail's pace. Is pretty damn ugly as well, unless you can recommend a nice skin (the default "MSN people" type skin which attempts to ape MCE2005 is godawful).

I've noticed a wireless cardsharing system which says it is going to support NDS (doesn't yet) by some never-heard-of company. Just waiting to hear back from them when they plan to add NDS support - this looks like the perfect solution as you can keep your original Sky card in the Sky box for updates while it is shared (putting an NDS card in a Diablo/T-rex, you need to put it back into the Sky box every 5-6 weeks for updates).

Here's a link to it, but don't know how accurate the description is, and whether there really is development on NDS support:
hxxp://tenow.en.alibaba.com/product/50404549/204035404/DVB_S/Wireless_Card_Splitter.html

yes development is slow but the great thing is theres so many plugins available because it is open source. it isn't the most reliable but I think this is because it tries to support too many different cards and configurations. ie TVserver and streaming.

The default skin and MCE skins are horrible. the only skins I would recomend are monochrome and indigo. they are the cleanes looking.

This guy (post #6) says the Diablo Light does do UK NDS, not sure what firmware though. AFAIK the wireless ones do all the same stuff as the non-wireless version?

http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...09-dragon-4-1-vs-t-rex-supermodule-4-6-a.html

I'm sure I've read people on avforums using the Diablo with a legit card - is that not the same thing?

I have a "spare" diablo if you want to try "before you buy" on the wireless ones.

BUT, that card sharing doofer looks good, IF it does NDS.

Back