having some troubles :/

He should be able to take it out dan but there will be no power when pulling away he will have to throttle it. Its not a good idea really it was made to serve a purpose. this valve is not a dear componont as you can see. I personally would let the bike shop finish the job off that way any miss diagnosis is purely on there part. Good luck ron keep us informed.

Check this out ron look at the cable and solenoid for breakage or poor connections.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:
He should be able to take it out dan but there will be no power when pulling away he will have to throttle it. Its not a good idea really it was made to serve a purpose. this valve is not a dear componont as you can see. I personally would let the bike shop finish the job off that way any miss diagnosis is purely on there part. Good luck ron keep us informed.

Agreed, just had a more roundabout way of saying it. :)

You tube link is interesting, but I still don't have a clue what the valve does.
The way I read the manual, if the solenoid is disconnected, and bike ridden below 8000rpm, it shouldn't stop after 20 mins.
Anyway, if changing the valve sorts the problem (fingers crossed), it's a fairly cheap solution to what was beginning to look a big problem.

Think I'll just shut up, and go back into observation mode. Will wait for the "applause" smiley. :Biggrin2:

You tube link is interesting, but I still don't have a clue what the valve does.
The way I read the manual, if the solenoid is disconnected, and bike ridden below 8000rpm, it shouldn't stop after 20 mins.
Anyway, if changing the valve sorts the problem (fingers crossed), it's a fairly cheap solution to what was beginning to look a big problem.

Think I'll just shut up, and go back into observation mode. Will wait for the "applause" smiley. :Biggrin2:

The spade shaped object fits in to the side of the cylinder bore it acts as a cover over the exhaust port the more throttle you give the more it releases gases quicker. if the solenoid fails or the cable snaps ect then only half of the port or less is open to release the gases hence the black sooty plugs and burning out because the gas in the cylinder cannot escape quick enough. Well that's my theory dan. :)

The spade shaped object fits in to the side of the cylinder bore it acts as a cover over the exhaust port the more throttle you give the more it releases gases quicker. if the solenoid fails or the cable snaps ect then only half of the port or less is open to release the gases hence the black sooty plugs and burning out because the gas in the cylinder cannot escape quick enough. Well that's my theory dan. :)

That'll do me, better than I've got !
Will wait and see. :)

Another thought, for what it's worth.

We know it starts and runs ok for 20mins or so.

When cold, how about disconnecting the wire between solenoid and ecu, and see whether it starts and keeps running ?
Should disable the rave valve, and indicate whether it's the problem, without much dismantling.
i get the bike back tomorrow costing me £70 :/ but will try that over the week end, and see what happens. thanks guys.
ill be back.
just to add the man said its was blocked as he put a camera up the exhaust but couldnt see what it was??? im thinking by what im reading.it could be an old spade from the rave unit jammed down there? just a guess and hopping. ill take a look when i get it back. if no joy it looks like a new exhaust :(

Last edited:
i get the bike back tomorrow costing me £70 :/ but will try that over the week end, and see what happens. thanks guys.
ill be back.
just to add the man said its was blocked as he put a camera up the exhaust but couldnt see what it was??? im thinking by what im reading.it could be an old spade from the rave unit jammed down there? just a guess and hopping. ill take a look when i get it back. if no joy it looks like a new exhaust :(

Suppose it could be the "spade" off your current rave valve. Suggest you get a quote from your man, to finish the job while he has the bike, and decide from there.

Ahhh the old power valve ;-) not read the whole thread but your bike should run fine without this, this changes the port shape at higher revs to give you a tad more than the legal power limit on your bike ;-) I saw my old aprila propel me along at 100 mph lol

The lining of the bore is coated so lets hope its not debris going in there thats caused the blockage, a easy way to see if that was in fact the cause would of been to loosen off the exhaust flange and see it it improves

ok lads, got the bike back, must say engine sounds much better :) thats the gd news.

the bad news :( it is the exhaust that is block not sure by what, the spade thingly on the valve is fine, so i took the exhaust off myself, and put some wait for it.....water down the end of the exhaust and it came out fine(same flow) but put some in the other side and was very very slow, so i got my Drain Unblocker wire (only 5mm wide) will only go so far down from the back end.
exhaust.jpg

ok lads, got the bike back, must say engine sounds much better :) thats the gd news.

the bad news :( it is the exhaust that is block not sure by what, the spade thingly on the valve is fine, so i took the exhaust off myself, and put some wait for it.....water down the end of the exhaust and it came out fine(same flow) but put some in the other side and was very very slow, so i got my Drain Unblocker wire (only 5mm wide) will only go so far down from the back end.
View attachment 73230

Ron that looks like the cat you are poking around at its a filter. Have you had the baffles out of the back silencer yet?. It's not going to be a cheap fix ron. have a look at these prices. Aprilia RS125 Jim Lomas Race Exhaust Single Can | eBay

Ron that looks like the cat you are poking around at its a filter. Have you had the baffles out of the back silencer yet?. It's not going to be a cheap fix ron. have a look at these prices. Aprilia RS125 Jim Lomas Race Exhaust Single Can | eBay

the baffles are ok miggy,so the bloke in the shop said. i know mate the prices are shocking, could cry. i seen this web site RS 125 1999-2005 ~ Exhaust unit - Parts at Aprilia Genuine Parts, Aprilia Parts, Aprilia Spare Parts, Aprilia Accessories, Aprilia Motorcycle Parts

and the main picture no1 is my exhaust and its saying only £121.78 which is great, if im reading it right?

the baffles are ok miggy,so the bloke in the shop said. i know mate the prices are shocking, could cry. i seen this web site RS 125 1999-2005 ~ Exhaust unit - Parts at Aprilia Genuine Parts, Aprilia Parts, Aprilia Spare Parts, Aprilia Accessories, Aprilia Motorcycle Parts

and the main picture no1 is my exhaust and its saying only £121.78 which is great, if im reading it right?

That looks good for the price ron. Any doubts about pricing or any questions at all give them a ring or you can Email them. Put new gaskets on as well and make sure they are included with your order. Is that the original exhaust on your bike ron?. because they come restricted a new exhaust would improve the speed of your bike vastly. Keep us all informed mate and don't be afraid to ask questions about that new exhaust to your supplier.

HELLOOOO :):):):)

good news, just got exhaust today, went andput it on, them springs are little twat mind :/ put it all back together went out on it, just done 12 miles on it, not much i know, but no probs never cut out or died on me, still not confindent in taking to far yet. but will take her out tomorrow again for a short run.
would never think of it being the exhuast.

thanks guys for all your help. i ready mean it. :)

ronnie

HELLOOOO :):):):)

good news, just got exhaust today, went andput it on, them springs are little twat mind :/ put it all back together went out on it, just done 12 miles on it, not much i know, but no probs never cut out or died on me, still not confindent in taking to far yet. but will take her out tomorrow again for a short run.
would never think of it being the exhuast.

thanks guys for all your help. i ready mean it. :)

ronnie

Looking back, sneaker put his finger on it in posts nos 12 and 14.

We probably only helped to find out where the problem wasn't !

But, (fingers crossed) good luck and happy riding ! :)

Last edited:
I'm also glad you got sorted m8.

Back