Having double glazing fitted.

Lanstrom

Inactive User
Reaction score
Planning to get my double glazing replaced with uPVC units but is there anything I should look out for ?

I want them to be as energy efficient as possible.

Recon its better to go with a national or local firm ?

Thanks.

if u have the cash, buy the windows direct from a factory. there is a few around in my area who do this, so im sure u will have some too. then its just the hire of a fitter/joiner to put them in for you. this will save u thousands.

Or get them from a manufacturer and do them yourself.
There a piece of p*ss

I think they have to fit Pilkington K (or equivalent ? - dunno) as standard now pal, I suppose triple glazing and wider glass spacing are still options.

:)

get triple glazing, double glazing is so last century lol

seriously triple glazing would be more energy efficient and as stated before once the units are made up etc it just a case of popping into hole in the wall, leveling and plumbing up then attaching the fixings. then just the finnishing bits round the sides and sills etc.

most double glazed units are now low e glass as standard, many companies also fill the cavities with argon gas for extra insulation. have a look for local company supplying profile 22.also get a couple of estimates, then price them yourself on a supply only basis, and you will see a big difference.they are easy to fit ,4 clips on the side ,expanding foam if reqd and mastic to seal them. if your any good at joinery you should manage the finishings on the inside

i use thistle windows up here in aberdeen they have 2 choices the budget range which is called spectus which in my eyes are just as good as the veka windows if you google them and contact spectus they will pass you onto a supplier in your area,as for fitting yourself it`s easy fitting them just the finish will be the hard part for you .

Back