DVB - PC Cards Having another shot at using Vista MCE

monkeypg :

this is interesting, a cable card with native mce support, i do liek the sound of that, can I use 2 of them as well ?

I can only find it here : http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_4348.html and this seems to be for sky. do they need a cam ? or do they support softcam ? will the one i linked to work on cable ? if not do you have links please where i can buy them ? and info about cam / softcam.

charlieram:

http://stashbox.org/ you can upload it there and pm me the link perhaps ?

Thanks

monkeypg :

this is interesting, a cable card with native mce support, i do liek the sound of that, can I use 2 of them as well ?

I can only find it here : http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_4348.html and this seems to be for sky. do they need a cam ? or do they support softcam ? will the one i linked to work on cable ? if not do you have links please where i can buy them ? and info about cam / softcam.

h**p://www.digital-everywhere.com/shop/index.php?page=artikel&pkateg=19&PHPSESSID=dce71bf865df43fe045b75a5cc80727d

they have a ci module ready for cam, i use a white icecrpyt flashed with joker firmware and a fun 5 with au image.

been using it with vista for about 6 months...it's the application that needs to support softcam...vista alone doesn't....

got my cam from

h**p://www.wizardsatellite.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=110

but they don't seem to stock them at the mo

thaks neathdrew, i think im going to sell the technotrends and go this route, the dvbsbridge route isnt workign for me at all.

with the help og monkeypigs plugins folder (thank you) I have managd to get all channels to show properly in ProgDVB , however when i follow the dvbsbridge manual, and scan in media cneter it only finds 10 - 20 of the 100+ channels, and even then it wont view those channels once it has found them.

very frustrating but im going back to analogue composite inputs from 2 set top boxes, until i can get the same hardware as neathdrew.

/edit

1Q for neathdrew, does Vista MC play nice with 2 of these cards as dual tuners ?

Also the link you gave for cams doesnt have the link you describe that you use, does it matter which i use ? do i need to buy soem equiptment to flash the cam ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Quattro,
2 tuners is working great for me. Remember you will need 2 cams and 2 funcards.

*I think* I read somewhere you can have up to 4 tuners, I believe a reg hack might have been necessary.

Also, the other nice thing about the floppy dtvs is that they only take up 1 expansion slot (pci/-e/-x) in your pc as the ci is built-in. If I went dual tuners with the tt-1500-c & ci they would have consumed 4 slots, space I didn't have available.

I actually have my floppydtvs mounted in the 3.5" adapters now.

Re: cams. I have a zetacam blue and a white icecrypt (both from ebay) and am using funcard4's, again from ebay. I have a duolabs cas3+ for programming the funcards and flashing the joker0.79 firmware to the cams. There are various tutorials available for programming funcards and if you google "joker 0.79 + download" you should find an image somewhere.

p.s. that wasn't my plugin folder btw

Last edited:
as monkeypig i've used both blue zetacam and white icecrypt in my floppydtv. i've got it set up with the icecrypt and fun 5 in my vista media centre while my zeta and other fun 5 is in my pc with a tt2100 card.

as far as slots you only use them to support the card as it's a firewire connection, it's handy if you've got an internal IEEE 1394 connector on ur m/b as it saves having to trail a lead out of the back of the pc. if u can support the card by some other means it saves ur slots, i got mine supported in the 2nd PCIe x16 graphic slot as i no plan to run a sli / crossfire set up.

u will need a programmer to put an image on the card and a cas interface to change the cam into a jokercam....i've got a cas 2+ as i already had a inf usb programmer but as MP has stated the cas 3+ can do both.

what area r u i can send u the joker 0.79 bin file if u can't find it and u can download the fun au img from this site.

good luck

Reg Entries For Harrogate

I couldn't get the card recognised for some reason, but it's done now (I wanted to get the card in for capturing from VHS/Camcorder etc).

Anyway, you got PM.

Edit: I've sent you two reg exports, hopefully self explanatory, but for future ref:

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

I beleive only the first one is essential, but I noticed that they both change when you change which guide is used, so I do both.

For anyone else, this is for NTL Bromley, I don't think the postcode is important (I've changed yours in the above) for guide downloads, just important to determine which guide to download.

I have NTSC equipment so I have a standards converter from my NTL (Virgin) cable box to my NTSC tuner. Due to the fact that I have an NTSC tuner, MCE won't allow me to select any place in the UK for location and post code (only allows US locations). I edited my registry for the NTL Bromley settings above, but there are channels missing from the lineup (MTV R and DMAX for example). Could someone out there set their MCE to download listings for Harrogate (N. Yorkshire) post code HG1 3DE and export the registry keys for [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\EPG] as above and post them so that I can try those registry settings and eliminate the missing channels, please? Thanks in advance.

I think MTV-R and DMAX are missing from all lineups, and Sky SD2 is missing from some.

I think MTV-R and DMAX are missing from all lineups, and Sky SD2 is missing from some.

Damn straight they are, me and cafe.racer are tag-teaming the idiot "customer service" types on thegreenbutton about getting the guide listings updated. Don't hold your breath waiting on the missing channels being added.

No Big Surprise There

Damn straight they are, me and cafe.racer are tag-teaming the idiot "customer service" types on thegreenbutton about getting the guide listings updated. Don't hold your breath waiting on the missing channels being added.

Nothing about building your own TVPC is ever easy. I am planning to use MceEpgDownloader.exe and MCEEpg2XMLTV.exe (from the GBPVR WIKI) to get the lineup in XMLTV format. I can just build ugly PERL scripts to screenscrape the missing channels and tv_cat to combine everything into one file. No big surprise that those channels are not available from radio times either. On my last project I used Got All Media as my basic application and WinLIRC to control everything. My wife bought me a new laptop with Vista Home Premium and the Dell MCE remote kit. Since I can't find anywhere that anyone has ever used Media Center to control two dissimilar set top boxes, I am going to give GBPVR a shot to see if I can combine my AFN and Virgin lineups into one EPG and control both set top boxes (Scientific Atlanta and Samsung). I hope to be able to use one usb capture device. Planning to connect the satellite box to the RF connector and the cable box to the analog A/V inputs. I still need to figure out the best way to get the AFN listings. Maybe SchedulesDirect.

Just manged to setup VistaMCE to use my FloppyDTV, now all I have to do is setup my channels how I want.

Back