Recovering deleted photos from iTunes backup

chookey

I have spoken
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
A mate of mine somehow deleted over 1000 photos from his ex wife's iPhone 7. One of his kids' iPad was running slow so he deleted the pics from there and it must have synced, I guess, and deleted them from all their devices. She ain't happy :(
I logged into her iCloud account but the photos weren't there. I quizzed my mate and he said he tried to restore from iCloud but only found 4 photos. He used the option to backup before restoring but I can't get it through to him that he actually overwrote the backed up photos.

His wife only uses the cloud but used iTunes when she moved from her old iPhone to this one. She did this on a laptop which is now broken so I will have to repair it to get access to her backup. I read somewhere that for security reasons the software to extract from a backup will only work on a pc with the owners login.
The next hurdle is that her backup is probably encrypted and if so hopefully she can remember the password.

Hopefully after the above I should be able to see her photos, in which case I will have to register the software to recover them. Has any member been down this route before and have any recommendations? Especially as to which software you used, the prices I have seen thus far are ranging from £19-$60.
Any other tips are welcome also

@chookey If you have not already tried, on the iphone or ipad look in settings then click on the name at the top and then icloud, manage storage, backups. As some people don't deleted the backup of there previous device or even know it is there.

@chookey If you have not already tried, on the iphone or ipad look in settings then click on the name at the top and then icloud, manage storage, backups. As some people don't deleted the backup of there previous device or even know it is there.
Thanks @avid . I seen that mate and I should have mentioned that in my post. There were 3 devices linked together, 2 ipads and one iPhone. The tablets backups were only a few kb's so were worthless.

Half the keyboard was missing from the laptop but got round that with my wireless keyboard/mouse. They couldn't remember the login password so I inserted a linux cd and cleared the password.
Hard drive was nearly full so I had to trim it down to install the software and it's dependencies to extract from iTunes backup. Thankfully it wasn't encrypted and there is 1153 photos in the backup. With any luck I should be able to restore back to the phone and won't need to register the software. :)

Her old laptop had too many issues to be able to restore her iPhone but I finally worked out a way around it. All I did was log into her iTunes account on my pc, did a backup of her phone and then I dropped her old backup into my folder and restored from it.

All the expensive available software is good to use as a trial and see what's inside your backups but certainly not worth buying.

Her old laptop had too many issues to be able to restore her iPhone but I finally worked out a way around it. All I did was log into her iTunes account on my pc, did a backup of her phone and then I dropped her old backup into my folder and restored from it.

All the expensive available software is good to use as a trial and see what's inside your backups but certainly not worth buying.

I am glad you sorted it for her. Memories are great but when you have got an image or video to actually look at, it can be priceless...

Last edited:
If there is no backup on iTunes or iCould, you can also use iOS Data Recovery software to help you recover the deleted photos from your iPhone directly before the deleted photos being overwritten by new data. Next time, you can try such software. Usually, if the deleted photos can be scanned out by the software, you can recover them easily.

MobiKin iPhone Data Recovery can be your good helper as well. With it, you can directly choose the backup file for scanning and then select your target files for restoring as you like.

Back