Hanging Baskets - Automated watering ?

bilabonic

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Always end up killing my hanging baskets every summer after forking out to have them filled.

I have easy access to an outside tap and have seen the systems but not got a clue how to set one up ?

Does it continually keep them wet or timed ??

Anyone done this to good effect ???

Cheers

you set your timer switch to 10 or 15 minutes....

simples.bmp

I used to have an automated watering system for my tomatoes and plants. You can get all sorts of different ones from really advanced to simple ones. Basically the best ones have a timer and a thin length of tube, you can attach drippers along the hose to suit, they dont soak them but just drip to keep them from drying out.

You could also use the cheap system. A small plastic bottle, fill with water and put a very small hole in the lid, turn upside down and plant it in the soil behind the plants so you dont see it and it will also drip the water out.

the timer switch on the system you don't have oh hold on that isn't 'simples' (sticks tongue out at muppets who post that all the time)

The capillary system may be better, all you have to do is set up an alarm on your phone or pc to remind you every so often to check up on it.

hi mate

i used to install these[still do part time] and i have a system in my garden they are excellent, yes there not cheap to put in but that depends on how much you want to actually do in your garden , you can just have a set up for hanging baskets or just the lawn or just your beds where flowers are if you want, its up to you .As for the timer you set it much like you would a dvd recorder telling it how long you want it to water for, what day and how long.

have a look here - Gardena -- Live your garden

in other questions just ask mate :proud:

I've got a decent system set up on my house m8.
10 baskets in total. 8 on the house, 2 on the garage.
I have a 24V power supply in the garage with a 240V digital programmer switching the output on and off.
The output from the power supply then feeds 2 24V solonoid valves connected to my main cold water supply, 1 in the house, the other in the garage.
I then use small plastic pipe with drippers hanging just above the baskets which I bought from B&Q.
It is set up to give 5 mins in the morning and 5 mins in the evening which I find is ample, but this would depend on the flow rate/size of basket etc.
It works perfectly for me.
Let me know if you'd like photo's or a wiring diagram etc.

Curly

Aldi had an automatic system for sale last June for about £18. I'd put money on them having them in again this year.
Screwfix do one for £50 but I'd hang on for Aldis ScrewFix Irrigation kit

Last edited:
Move to Manchester, they will get constant watering

I have purchased a cheap set of ebay to get me going, only doing x3 baskets and 2 narrow beds about 6' long.

Be happy with just baskets at time being. The system has plenty of piping drippers etc but does not have a timer, it works by reducing pressure and feeds at 2 l/min which i don't know if is enough or to much.

Do all systems use same size piping etc ????

I suppose i could easily add an electronic timer/solenoid as i have easy access to power.

Any pics much appreciated, there is a lot of stuff to choose from but that Gardena stuff looks excellent but very expensive.....

This is the one i purchased -http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/23-metre-micro-irrigation-system-garden-water-kit-/380229643231?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenEquipment_HandTools_SM&hash=item588773ebdf#ht_3145wt_1479

Can anyone see any probs with this apart from it needs to be constantly on ?

Cheers guys

Mine drip at about 1 l/min so that's why they are only on a few minutes.
You'll need a timer that you can set with a short "on time"
Any excess water simply runs out of the baskets, but on the other hand you don't want to be wasting it, especially if you're on a water meter.

I'll upload some photo's of my system for you m8

Curly

Had same type of fleabay, it is rated at 2l/min !!!!! plus i am on a meter so will deffo need a timer.

What do you think of the one i linked above ? Looks simple enough.

What sort of times are talking in regards interval and on times, a rough guide as not got a clue ?

Cheers

Back