Hang on? Installing an electric shower.

Him Her

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I do get them sometimes. Mr Plumber says "Easy job M8, just connect this shower up for me".

He said he's wired it up and all I have to do is connect it to the mains, there's no spare slot in the consumer unit so he's put on a 'shower-rated' additional unit - warning bells ring.

So I went.

The shower unit is too high - you can't fasten up the top screws so the faceplate hangs off a bit so no seal against water ingress. No M8, a bit of sealant doesn't cut it. In fact, if there's sealant anywhere near your shower there could be a problem. They're designed to fix to 'finished surfaces', sealant is bad.

A 'shower-rated' consumer unit is designed for 10mm feeds, not 6mm. The 50 amp MCB will have to go. Fortunately it's a 9.5kW shower so 6mm is okay.

No, I can't use a bit of 10mm twin to connect it to the incoming feed as it's fused at 100A. It's also a TT (overhead) supply so the rods are probably fooked - like 99% are.

Let me get this right, you want your customer to stand b*llock naked under an excellent conductor (water) provided by a system that can deliver hundreds of times the 'kill current' and you want me to connect it up?

This is sooo not happening!

Back