Gym - How long does it take a caffeine tablet to work

Mick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thought I would post my caffeine / Gym question here!

Not sure if I have said before but I have been losing weight for a while now, a year in July/August and I have lost over 6 and a half stone :)

I have kinda stopped now losing weight at around 14 - 14 and a half stone (in and around that now) well I cant seem to break into the 13's lol.

But I have really increased my weight training schedule, been taking caffeine tablets for around 4 months now and they really help with my training but I wanted to know roughly how long they take to work.

Let me explain lol, do not worry I only take 1 x 200mg tablet before the gym (some people in there are on 600mgs lol)...

I am happy with the one tablet it gives me that little extra to push myself after a days work...

I can be in the gym for say 1-2 hours at a time (closer to 2 on weight training day), I normally take the tablet about 10 minutes before the gym.

But even after 2 hours I am flying like a racing car especially my mind lol, I am starting to think that the tablet is not working till I am finished, or I am not taking them at the optimum time?

I thought 200mg was about the same as a cup of coffee???

Cheers all, thanks for reading

Mick

mick if you want to get down to 13's mark try cardio workout twice a week at the gym with no weight lifting

The best time is dependent upon your metabolism. It seems you are taking them too close to the workout for your own needs, try an hour before. You should be 'buzzing' when you start lol

Experiment with the time before to find out what suits best.

Watch out for tolerance build-up - that's likely why the other guys are on 600mg! Best to avoid other caffeine sources on the day you take caffeine tablets. For most people 200mg is about right - 3mg/kg to 6mg/kg (bodyweight) seems to be the norm.

The best time is dependent upon your metabolism. It seems you are taking them too close to the workout for your own needs, try an hour before. You should be 'buzzing' when you start lol

Experiment with the time before to find out what suits best.

Watch out for tolerance build-up - that's likely why the other guys are on 600mg! Best to avoid other caffeine sources on the day you take caffeine tablets. For most people 200mg is about right - 3mg/kg to 6mg/kg (bodyweight) seems to be the norm.

Cheers,

Very helpful...

Yeah I do not go gym every day, 3-4 times a week, hopefully I am not building up a tolerance???

But will try that an hour before :)

One of the lads at work drinks about 4-5 cups of coffee a day lol (feck knows what he has at home), I told him he was having too much caffeine!

Mick

Depends on what you have eaten before having them as if your stomachs full it will take longer to digest the tablet but I would be looking to take them at latest half an hour before getting to the gym as tablets normally take at least that to start working.
I would crush it up it instead of taking it whole as this will help it get in to your system quicker as your stomach doesn't have to break the tablet down.

Oh, I'd agree with bobby about doing cardio if you want to get the weight down more. Maybe your body is leveling out at the 14 mark with doing the weights...don't forget muscle is heavier than fat.

Yeah I think I am a lot more muscular now, still needs a bit of toning though, but happy with my progress...

I tore my ACL about 3 years back and I was about 17 stone then, but I used to play football regular, but after the accident I could not go nothing and put on over 4 stone :(

But back on track now, and believe me I sweat buckets doing my weight days :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back