Grasmere and other things

Him Her

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
One of the nice things about The Lakes at this time of year, apart from glorious Autumn colours, are the empty car parks! One odd observation, the whole of the right hand section was empty when I arrived and I parked right in the middle. When I got back there were two other cars, one on my left and one on my right, WTF?

Anyway, dogs walked and off to visit Allan Bank, home of Wordsworth and bequeathed to the National Trust by one of the founders, Canon Rawnsley. I'm not sure if it's been done before but the house is open during restoration works so you get a good feel for what has to be done.

P1010638.JPG

You can grab a free tea/coffee and sit in Wordsworth's Study, like Mrs M, contemplating your next great work!

P1010631.JPG

Or stroll around the gardens taking in the views like Helm Crag.

P1010636.JPG

Then it's back to the apartment picking up something for tea and I just can't help noticing how many people have expensive outdoor gear. Boots, waterproof coats, poles sticking out of their rucksacks, all good branded stuff. They look for all the world like they just dropped off the fells but hang on, in the middle of Bowness? With a toddler in tow and pushing a baby stroller?

Must be a fashion thing :)

Back