Given an xbox, help to identify it & what can I do now...

bonzodog

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all

I was just given an xbox. I wouldn't have gone out and bought one as I don't play games.
This one has a clear case, so I believe it's what's called a 'crystal' xbox ? Correct?
I have the main box and 1 controller and a video lead.
I want to find out more about it to determine what I can do with it, maybe there is
more than one version with a see-through case ?

Info off the sticker on the underside:
2004-10-13 MFG DATE
442 4097951 44205 PRODUCT ID

I'd be interested in doing hardware & software mods to make it into some kind of networked
media player, any comments would be most appreciated.

Hi all
I was just given an xbox. I wouldn't have gone out and bought one as I don't play games.
This one has a clear case, so I believe it's what's called a 'crystal' xbox ? Correct?
I have the main box and 1 controller and a video lead.
I want to find out more about it to determine what I can do with it, maybe there is
more than one version with a see-through case ?
Info off the sticker on the underside:
2004-10-13 MFG DATE
442 4097951 44205 PRODUCT ID
I'd be interested in doing hardware & software mods to make it into some kind of networked
media player, any comments would be most appreciated.

It is a Crystal Xbox, probably a V1.6

You can softmod it and install Xbox Media Centre. You can then stream pretty much any media format over a network to it

Easily hacked using either a modchip of the softmod method, once it's hacked install a new dashboard, there's plenty to choose from (they all do more or less the same thing), make sure you install Xbox Media Centre (XBMC), it'll play any codec that your throw at it (u can actually use XBMC as a dashboard as well), connect it to your pc or router and you'll be able to stream downloaded videos directly to the xbox, if you want to play games then a new larger hard drive is handy as you can play the games directly off the hard drive so you don't need to burn games onto discs.

You can download a self install disc that has all the dashboards and applications.

Have a look on xbox-scene.com for loads more info.

Last edited:
Back