Getting made redundant

GIO

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice, officially told getting made redundant today, will get a few months wages, i also have a few grand in the bank. I know you cant claim unemployment benefit when you have more than £6000 in the bank, total crap but its the law. Worked most of my life and now i have to use any money i get from work and what i have in the bank to survive.
ps only reason im getting paid off as ive been off with depression because my wife was dying of cancer and now shes gone 3 months i thought id make a go at getting back but the contract and position is gone.

question is, whats the chances of getting caught telling porkies about what i have in the bank to the benefit people as it pisses me off to think Ive worked all my life but theirs people out there that live off it all there life and i have to use the little savings i have to keep going.
How much power have they got to search my bank details or finances if i dont tell the whole truth.
pss - i know about Deprivation of assets

Could take the money out and put it into a trusted friends account?
Or buy some gold with it? :)

The limit is £16000 when you can’t claim benefits unless you where put on a disability benefit that prevented you from working and then it is not means tested.
For every £250 over £6000 you will lose £1 a week. Eg if you had £7000 savings you would lose £4 a week from your benefits.

Sorry to hear about you being made redundant and your situation

You can buy legitimate items like a car home improvements etc. When I was claiming I got called in to find out what happened to some equity when I sold my flat, they had full details of my bank account, for me it was very easy to explain away as everything was legit

You can buy legitimate items like a car home improvements etc. When I was claiming I got called in to find out what happened to some equity when I sold my flat, they had full details of my bank account, for me it was very easy to explain away as everything was legit

i really knew about most of the things mentioned above but my interest is how did they have your bank details, i could move money about quite easily but how much digging can they do.
How much power have they got to search my bank details or finances if i dont tell them, say i moved money to my daughter or put into saving bonds or investments. I know about Deprivation of assets

how much digging can they do?, how much power do they have?.

i really knew about most of the things mentioned above but my interest is how did they have your bank details, i could move money about quite easily but how much digging can they do.
How much power have they got to search my bank details or finances if i dont tell them, say i moved money to my daughter or put into saving bonds or investments. I know about Deprivation of assets

how much digging can they do?, how much power do they have?.

Authorities are allowed to collect information, including from banks, under the Social Security Administration Act...

Back