formatting a HDD

MFCGMFC

Inactive User
Reaction score
hey all

im having trouble formatting this spare hdd i have lying here

im wanting to put linux on it, i have dowloaded and buren ubuntu and its a bootable disk but my pc wont boot from it and install to hdd?

the pc the hdd in wont play ball but when i put the disk into the other pcs i have it boots

i just keep getting an error message when it boots up!

KTLDR is missing
CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart

i have tried other disk i know that boot and have done previously in the problem pc but im just getting the same message?

if i format it in the pc thats working will it boot ok in the problem pc?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

New-old-stock LGA 775 mobo, which take 4 DIMMs of DDR2, look to be well over £100.

Second hand LGA 775 boards that takes 4 DIMMs of DDR2 look to be £40-80.

New LGA 775 mobo with G31 chipset + 2x2GB DDR2 is at least £60.

New LGA 775 mobo, but with the G41 chipset + 2x2GB DDR3 can be had for £50+: Lists | Ebuyer.com

LGA 1155 mobo + Sandy Bridge Celeron + 2x2GB DDR3 is £95, but will out perform the E4500: Lists | Ebuyer.com

Just looking at that mobo and ram, the ram is rated at 1600mhz but the mobo only supports speeds 800/1066/1333 ?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Well new mobo and ram arrived today :)

Still getting the same error :(

I don't understand it, the hard drive worksin my main pc why won't it work here :( tried different psu but still the same

Should I just buy a new hdd? Only needs to be about 40-80gb?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Bloody hell!

New hard drive turned up and it isn't being picked up by the new mobo!

Tried different cables still the same!

Wtf is going on!

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

New RAM, mobo, HDD and cables plus a known good optical and PSU?

Looks like it might actually be the CPU, but it's not a symptom I'm familiar with :(

Couple of last things to try:

• Make sure you've the latest BIOS installed on the new motherboard.
  • Try the new hard drive on the system that is working (just to make sure).
  • Test bench it: Take everything out of the case. Set it up on a non-conductive surface and plug in one stick of RAM, CPU (with heat sink and fan), hard drive and power up.

If that fails, return the motherboard under Distance Selling Regulations (you only get 7 days starting the day after receipt). Keep the RAM and the remainder of this list: Lists | Ebuyer.com

New hdd is in the working system and is being picked up by the bios

Optical drive is working and is being picked up by the bios on the new mobo

Ram is being picked up by the new mobo

Tried two working psu's but same problems persist!

So from start to finish this machine has had; 3 motherboards, 2 processors, 4 hard drives, 2 optical drives, 7gb of ram and 2 psu's

And now I find that my Linux disc isn't bootable :(

What else can go wrong?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Do you think it's a possibility that the fault is because I'm mixing old hardware and new?

Basically the life story of this pc is

I upgraded the mobo and CPU in my main pc so decided to get a case and put the old mobo in it, so basically a second pc

Now it worked fine :)

Then the mobo in my main pc ****ed up so I swapped the ram, mobo and CPU for the media pc I had built that was connected to my tv, the mobo in question there is the one containing the e4500 I'm trying to use the now

I didn't use the pc for a while and when I went to boot it up at the beginning of this saga It was booting till it go to the desktop and then just rebooting constantly

So I've gradually added new parts etc only things that aren't brand new is the CPU optical drive and psu

I'm going to try the psu in my main pc as it is an expensive one (be! Quiet with modular cables) with is the same model

If the psu works in the other pc the im totally stumped

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

And now, just as I thought things couldn't get any worse :(

My main pc has decided to pack in !!! It's not putting out a picture to any monitor I have !!!

Just going to order 2 new motherboards2 new CPUs and 2 new psu's

Probably go for the £95 deal you posted pob, what an expensive project this is turning out to be !

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Got the pc posting a picture now :)

Turns out the power supply is struggling to cope so I need a new psu but at least it's still running!!

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

well finally got the pc up and running

the one in the previous post died lol

so now basically after 3 weeks of trying i now basically have 2 new pcs !

5 motherboards and 5 pocessors later i now have my xp system running and the other one running fedora lol

thanks for everyones help !

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Back