formatting a HDD

MFCGMFC

Inactive User
Reaction score
hey all

im having trouble formatting this spare hdd i have lying here

im wanting to put linux on it, i have dowloaded and buren ubuntu and its a bootable disk but my pc wont boot from it and install to hdd?

the pc the hdd in wont play ball but when i put the disk into the other pcs i have it boots

i just keep getting an error message when it boots up!

KTLDR is missing
CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart

i have tried other disk i know that boot and have done previously in the problem pc but im just getting the same message?

if i format it in the pc thats working will it boot ok in the problem pc?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Maybe the optical drive is dodgy?

Try swapping the DVD/CD drive for the one that reads them.

It did try to install windows before but it only got to 95% then failed saying it couldn't copy certain files over and since then it's not booted from any disk!

Ill try the spare drive I have here in faint hope that it works, I know the hdd works as I have formatted it recently

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Just tried the other drive and a different hard drive but still getting the same problem :(

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Tried everything that's been mentioned, tried IDE DVD and hdd drives also tried sata DVD and hdd drives

Managed to format the sata drive but on reboot still getting the same error :(

Could it possibly be the motherboard

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

im sorry to say, its looking that way m8 what motherboard is it, you could allways try flashing firmware on motherboard it my help but i doubt it :( sorry m8.

Na must be the motherboard that's nakered :(

Looking for a cheap mono that takes a intel dual core CPU (E4500)

And ddr2 677 ram?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

For the S775 CPUs there only seems to be G41 chipsets available new. Prices look to start around £30.

There is currently an MSI P35 Neo2 on ebay: MSI P35 NEO2 -FR SOCKET 775 MOTHERBOARD 816909039979 | eBay an excellent board in it's day.

However, at nearly £60 with postage, you may want to consider upgrading instead. For £95 this will blow the E4500 out of the water... although you won't be able to use any IDE drives you have.

Is there not just a wee cheap mobo out there that will do the job? Not wanting to spend too much as this ain't my main pc

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

That would be perfect if it had another two ram slots....

It's 3 separate 1gb sticks I have here, sorry I should have mentioned

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

That would be perfect if it had another two ram slots....

It's 3 separate 1gb sticks I have here, sorry I should have mentioned

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC
Sorry, Gav. New boards with 4 DIMM slots just don't exist in your price range. 4 DIMMs are all new-old-stock, with a price to match :(

There are a few more 2nd hand mobos on ebay today though: p35,p45,x38,x48 mobo,motherboard,mainboard | eBay

Before you bid on any, make sure they're LGA 775, take DDR2 and have 4 DIMM slots.

What we talking here for a mobo, CPU and 4gb of ram compared to buying a mobo that will take the parts I've got?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Back