Ford Transit Starter Motor - Clicking and not turning the engine

Mick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I believe that the starter motor might be knackered.

The ford transit van just ticks when I turn the key, and all the lights light up... I am sure its not the battery as the radio comes on (and when my battery was dead before the radio would not go at all).

I watched a youtube video on how to diagnose and change it.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

But I cannot find a video on where to find it lol...

It is a long wheel base 2003 ford transit.

I have green flag coming out, but I guess they will want to toe it too the garage, and to be honest it is the weekend almost so I thought I would goto europarts (15 minutes from me) grab one and have a go lol.

I have to be honest cars, vans are not my strong point lol.

Mick

Last edited:
I believe that the starter motor might be knackered.

The ford transit van just ticks when I turn the key, and all the lights light up... I am sure its not the battery as the radio comes on (and when my battery was dead before the radio would not go at all).

I watched a youtube video on how to diagnose and change it.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

But I cannot find a video on where to find it lol...

It is a long wheel base 2003 ford transit.

I have green flag coming out, but I guess they will want to toe it too the garage, and to be honest it is the weekend almost so I thought I would goto europarts (15 minutes from me) grab one and have a go lol.

I have to be honest cars, vans are not my strong point lol.

Mick

You could get lucky M8 and he'll find it's the starter relay - they just unplug :)

If it is the starter motor just follow big fat cables from the battery, the starter motor will be on the end of one of them!

Last edited by a moderator:
Perfect cheers mate.

I will check the battery voltages now, been reading that also the clamps on the battery can come lose and cause the same clicking, also bad earthing...

I will let the green flag fella look first, might even just let them take it too the garage, as more reading suggests it could be a number of things :(

Thanks @Him Her very useful mate!

Mick

you could always try the old fashion way, hit it with a hammer to see if its stuck :)

I've had a couple of instances like this where it was a rusty spade connector on the starter solenoid- a squirt of WD40 & a good wiggle (of the spade connector, that is) & Robert's your mother's brother. Wasn't on a Transit though, they might do it differently....

Cheers all the green flag guy tried a jump that never worked, so he then got a hammer and while I started it, he hit the starter, it jumped into life.

I drove to euro parts bought a starter motor for. 60+vat

Left the van running outside , got in the van took it to garage it's getting done right now £40 labour.

I'm in the cafe, and hopefully will be sorted in 30 minutes.

Lost a few hours of work but at least it should be sorted soon.

Thanks all

Micj

Bet we all laughed when reading Napsters post about hitting it with a hammer but that indeed got it going lol
Will have to remember that one.

The teams that take advantage are the teams with the stamina and ideas :)

Bet we all laughed when reading Napsters post about hitting it with a hammer but that indeed got it going lol
Will have to remember that one.

LOL!! Technical term:"When in doubt, give it clout"!!!

one of the few starter motors that they dont guarantee , bet your old one is full of clutch dust

Back