Ford Focus oil change - how much in?

ManofScience

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Service is well over due on my focus, done plugs, air even petrol filter - now on to the oil and filter change. I don't have the user manual so how much do I put back in? I know it's 5/30 but I cant get a definite answer on how much should in in, google tells me anything from 3.75lts to 4.3 and some in Quarts! ( damn yank sites!)

Is there an exact amount for a 2000 1.8 zetec estate focus?

you need to enter the oil so it doesnt go over the maximum level on the dipstick. so basically add 3 qtrs then let it settle and check the dipstick, then add a bit more then check etc. I have found it will almost eat up most of the oil in the 5L canister.

btw i got mine from fordonlineparts and was very cheap for the OIL, I got this one:
Genuine_Ford_Oil_5W30_Formula_F_5litres_Fully_Synthetic_F1502266-100

First of all identify which is your dipstick note the minimum and maximum marks.

Engine oil check - Maintenance - Ford Fusion Owners Manual - Ford Fusion - Ford manuals

when you buy oil they normally give you just enough to top your oil up and a little left for future top ups.There is no secret to fill with oil just take your time doing a little at a time until it reaches close to the maximum level.Then put the filler cap on run your engine for a couple of mins stop it then re check your oil and top up if needed. Dont forget the new oil filter first before the new oil goes in.Good luck.

Cheers guys, I'm just going to top up bit at a time, let's hope I can get the filter off without 1 of those proper gripper tools!

if you cant get it off stab a screwdriver though it then twist it, watch out though it will get messy!

As aboive though just put some in, let it settle check it, dont worrie if you go over by a !TINY! bit as the filter ect will need to fill up!

zetec is 4.2l and 5/30
cvh 3.5l

Drain sump with oil filter off, then 4l in if zetec (should be) run up. Turn off leave for fews mins, remove dipstick clean back in and out and check.

Tbh people get so paranoid about oil level, a little bit over is fine really, its when you stick alot over then things could start.

funnily enough done mine yesterday.

1.6 16v zetec se and it takes 4.3l of 5w30

think it also depend a little on if you have put on a long filter or a short one as this will soak up a little more but nothing too drastic.

I put castrol gtx maganetec 10W-40 in my honda diesel, now castrol website says it should be 5W-40...shouldnt really make that much difference should ?.or will it...!.apart from the fact that the oils is slightly thicker...dont really wanna go out draining the oils as i spent around £25 for this oil..

No, it will be find until the winter, then change it again and drop it down to the 5w one, as 5w will help an engine in the winter where as 10w wont.

I put castrol gtx maganetec 10W-40 in my honda diesel, now castrol website says it should be 5W-40...shouldnt really make that much difference should ?.or will it...!.apart from the fact that the oils is slightly thicker...dont really wanna go out draining the oils as i spent around £25 for this oil..

To be honest, during the summer months, 10W-40 would be fine IMO. 5W-40 would offer you better protection in colder weather.

if oil is thicker it cannot reach parts needing lubrication,valve stems used to stick because of wrong oil used,also what gets overlooked is the low ash content as more ash will clog up dpf and may damage new type cats which are designed for the new engine oils.
same thing on an audi tt vw mechanic told her 10w-40 was ok car would not run right after 20 mins,took back in drained oil and used larger correct oil filter and mobil esp formula oil,car has never run so well after it:Clap:
always check your handbook for correct oil to use.

Back