Ford Focus intermittent starting problem

die5el

Inactive User
Reaction score
My 2002 1.8 Ford Focus die5el has an intermittent starting problem. Sometimes when you turn the ignition on, the electrics start fine, I get the noise from the fuel pump starting up but the engine doesn't start. The starter doesn't even attempt to start the engine - it doesn't even click to sound it's defeat. I can try for about 10 mins or more turning the key then all of a sudden it will start.

Sometimes when it does start after one of these non-starting sessions the gauge needles do a full sweep too - although not all the time.

Most times I can just get in the car and it will start first time. It's just so random.I have bought a new battery for the car and key fob also checked the relays and checked all the earths any one have any ideas or is it time to scrap it

Last edited:
I had a ver similar issue with an 04 focus 1.8 tdci . It turned out to be the cam sensor. Ford changed the cam sensor to output 12v rather than 5v signals because of issues like this. I'm not saying 100% that this is your issue but it worked for me. £15 of of eBay. Good luck

Have you checked the wiring going to the diesel pump stop solenoid?

What about spark plugs

Sent from my Xolo_X900 using Tapatalk 2

You feeling brave M8? I'd get a M8 to help. M8 tries starting and it fails - connect a wire to battery positive and touch to solenoid connector - does it start now? If yes, fault in circuit to solenoid.

If no, probable starter motor shagged!

Thanks for all your replies forgot to say i have had the starter motor checked also it is ok the car is starting to do my head in lol

i tried the starter and the battery before changing the cam sensor. it really does sound the same as the issue i had.

CONNECT FOCUS MONDEO CAM CAMSHAFT SENSOR 1.8TDCi | eBay

thats the one i got. just disconnect the battery un bolt the old black cam sensor and replace with the one in the link. reconnect the battery and bobs your uncle.

I would have said it would be the starter. I'd check the votate to the start cable first using a muti-meter and then apply some direct voltate to the starter solonid to see if it activates!

u need to check if theres power going to the starter when it doesnt start , check relay for over heating

Attachments

• focusstarter.jpg
    focusstarter.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 11
Thank you all for your replies so far we have found voltage drop to the starter so cleaned all leads we also cleaned the leads coming from the fuse box they were green lol (it is an old car)after we cleaned all the leads no more voltage drop we checked all relays the are fine also checked all fuses with a multimeter they were fine so tried starting the car it fired first time so i will run the car and hope fully the problem is fixed so it may be the corrosion on the leads from the fuse box causing the problems also checked the starter motor its doing its job no problems there will update the thread if i have any more problems thank you all for the help its much appeciated

Back