Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

fixed dish or motorised?

what do you mean need

if its just to get uk channels then no
if you would like the choice of 10k plus channels and not to be ripped off with the sky ppy and so on then
a motorised dish would be your good idea ,really its all down to budget and so on
you could easily spend about £600 on gear and still want a simple sky hd planner
or spend £100 and be hooked on the problems and fun that comes with it
best advice is read read and read and dont rush in to it

Motorized there is a delay factor changing channels between sats.
Some people want instant channel changing so I thought I would mention it.

u can also have additional LNBs on a fixed dish, a good option if 13, 19.2 and 28.2 are all that's required.
instant switching this way

and is cheaper/less headaches than motorized.

about the same cost for a 3 way multi-lnb system if using quality single lnb,s as a motor although a t+k would be preferable which adds extra cost if the fixed is on a cheap L or U bracket which most are... and motors are fine if set up correctly with good quality components. its really down to personal preferance, what satellites are to be recieved,dish size and available funds/patience. regards mdt

If you follow instructions they are a piece of piss to set up.
There are loads of guides on the forum.
Confidence and common sense is needed.
If you lack one or the other then yes you may struggle.

the mounting pole has to be perfect or forget it.
If it is off by just a fraction the motor doesn't scan the arc correctly.
A hurricane last summer knocked my motor settings off by 10 degrees.
It took me 1 week to get it correct again.I should have taken the dish down before the storm.

Like anything, the job needs to be done correctly.
If you live in area with hurricanes, then take it down.
How do you think so many sat motors get set up, its certainly not by installers.
Look through all the sat forums and you will see how many do their own.

I am lucky.my dish is mounted on a pole cemented into the ground.
If I had to climb a roof to adjust,forget it.
As the storm passed I was able to watch the weather channel,so that was the benefit.
Neighbors with cable tv were sol,since the power was out for days after that.
I used car batteries and ac inverter to continue my tv viewing pleasure during and after.

If you live in area with hurricanes, then take it down.
How do you think so many sat motors get set up, its certainly not by installers.
I did my own years ago and the only one in the neighborhood and probably in town.
People around here don't bother,they either have cable tv or sub to one of the sat tv providers.

the sensors in my motor are shot,so I am limited to diseqc1.2 manual moving of the dish and saving positions.
If I had usals it would be easier assuming a precise lat/long of my location.

if you live in a exposed location then get yourself a polar mount,actuator and v-box.. the brackets on cheap usals motors are awfull. regards mdt

if you live in a exposed location then get yourself a polar mount,actuator and v-box.. the brackets on cheap usals motors are awful. regards mdt

especially ones with plastic gears.
due to local regulations I am limited to a 1 meter dish.

Back