Fish Pond Keepers

bro

Inactive User
Reaction score
anyone know where i can get hold of calcium carbonate,dolomite stone or marble chips

thanks,lookin after a pond for me ma and may need this stuff

anyone know where i can get hold of calcium carbonate,dolomite stone or marble chips

thanks,lookin after a pond for me ma and may need this stuff

Why would you want to use calcium carbonate in a freshwater pond as it will raise the KH and the PH of the water and make it acidic ?? dont know why you would want to use it but you can get it from b&q cheap garden lime the same stuff

Why would you want to use calcium carbonate in a freshwater pond as it will raise the KH and the PH of the water and make it acidic ?? dont know why you would want to use it but you can get it from b&q cheap garden lime the same stuff

gh and kh levels are low so it say use some of that stuff.got a tetrapond 5 in 1 test kit

n0 3 10
n0 2 1
gh 3d
kh 0d
ph 6.4

if it makes any sense

Last edited:
Why do you not just dose the pond with the trace elements?

How big is the pond in gallons you could over 2 weeks say dose small amounts and raise the KH, does your friend dose ?

or does he just leave it ?

PH of 6.4 is not to much off the desired 7 (or just above).

How long is your mate away lol, if you are not careful you could end up crashing the pond mate.

Mick

its my mams pond mick,fatherinlaw used to sort it but passed away few years back so its upto me to sort...she only lives five mins round the corner

will nip round an measure the coont

Last edited:
ive got a couple of goldfish of ya want them m8, they are getting too big now for me. and they are getting very greedy, stopping my other fish eating.

Just if you get stuck for fish m8, lol

just to add, they are red and white lol

Last edited:
Does the pond have any filtration ?

I am guessing yes because your nitrate is perfect.

10 is nothing!

and if your nitrite is 0 then 100% you wont have any ammonia, so just dose up the KH gently mate over a few weeks even a month.

To be honest I am just applying logic to my marine setup, I was even thinking that you would not really need much calcium in a pond but that is a guess only and plants etc would probably need it.

Mick

pond had a good big filter and good aeration

size is

90 inch long
52 inch wide
and 28 inch deep

2147 litres
472 gallons me thinks lol

Last edited:
Why do you think it needs elements adding mate ?

Is there signs of problems ?

Mick

pond had a good big filter and good aeration

size is

90 inch long
52 inch wide
and 28 inch deep

2147 litres
472 gallons me thinks lol

Take look at this as ph affects kh and vise versa it a very difficult subject to explain also you may have some naff test kit ??

Koi Pond pH and kH

Back