fire extinguishers

The trouble is with C02 and power although they do have a quick knock back they don't cool the heat source meaning reignition is an issue...For me personally I use water and c02...Water on carbonatious fires and C02 on electrical fires

Co2 does cool mate, you ever been sprayed with one ? lol, they fooooooking cold.

:) nearly had me nuts froze with one PMSL mates thought it was very funny at time !

messa.......ur help is needed to resolve the best one to get for the right job..lol

i dont drink much but if ur a bit of a alki like digi
u can pick up a couple of the small co2 ones
and they will cool ur beer in a matter of seconds lol

i dont drink much but if ur a bit of a alki like digi
u can pick up a couple of the small co2 ones
and they will cool ur beer in a matter of seconds lol

been there, done that, and lost 2 finger prints that refused to come off the side of the bottle, my joint rolling abilities were fooked for about 2 weeks afterwards

ice burns like a mo-fo lol

Hi there,

My advice would be an AFFF (foam) extinguisher, followed by a dry powder.

An AFFF can be used on all 'common' domestic fires, even electrical.

I would recommend a small 2 or 3 litre one, if one extinguisher of that size is not able to extinguish your fire then I would suggest that it was time you left it alone.

My personal problem with powder is that it suffers from caking after a prolonged period of time. As the chances are that you would not be having fires on a regular basis my worry would be that a false sense of security would prevail in the knowledge that you owned an extinguisher that was possibly not of any practical use.

Having said that all extinguishers need to be examined periodically and replaced when the recommended shelf life has passed.

I would not recommend water or CO2 in the domestic environment but obviously if that was all you had then it would be better than nothing in the right situation.

Another problem I have with domestic equipment is that some people would feel confident that they had extinguished the fire and not call the Fire Service.

The best thing you can do is get smoke alarms, shut your doors at night, and take a mobile to bed with you.

IMO of course.

:)

Nah,oil refinery we have auto systems incase of fire,some rooms the size of footie pitches,hence being stuck in there if they go off.

Not buncefield is it lol ?

Mate lives next to it, its amazing the fire precautions they now have in place :eek:

Foam is probably a good choice but doesn't have the same sort of throw as water so hence the occupier will tend to get closer to the fire and inevitably burn themselves...

Foam is probably a good choice but doesn't have the same sort of throw as water so hence the occupier will tend to get closer to the fire and inevitably burn themselves...

not suitable for electrical fires mind, which could be the cause of most home fires

have been taught never to use foam on electrical fires due to it being water based!

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Which is why I suggested water and c02...I guess it's all down to personal preference...From the fires I've seen water and c02 would be best bet followed by foam...With powder as a last resort...

co2 used in confind spaces ie most rooms of a house
can be very dangerous it sucks the oxygen out of the air very quickly,
and if ur not carefull u could collapse.
i think ur getting mixed up with halon
they are good to put out a fire
but if u get stuck inthe room with this gas
and do breathe it in it is heavier than air and will replace the oxygen in ur lungs and u with be asphixiated (fookin dead)

Last edited:
c02 if inhaled will also render you unconcious if you breathe a sufficient quantity of it...

Not buncefield is it lol ?

Mate lives next to it, its amazing the fire precautions they now have in place :eek:

No,pmsl.

Some major failings there though,broken level instruments,all comes down to basic ullages.
What goes in must come out,all dependant on flowrates.

i think ur getting mixed up with halon
they are good to put out a fire
but if u get stuck inthe room with this gas
and do breathe it in it is heavier than air and will replace the oxygen in ur lungs and u with be asphixiated (fookin dead)

Halon is now banned as a CFC depletion chemical,although still used in aircraft holds.

If you need more than the 4-5 metre throw of an AFFF then you have no business tackling the fire.

And to the other posters (sorry can't cut n paste all the bits n peices) you can use AFFF on electrical fires with the right rating, even though it is water based.

And to the remainder, CO2 and Halon are dangerous as they are an asphyxiant but you are unlikely to be in any situation where this becomes a problem.

Now u lot........u've been told, so no more if's & but's about this one and that one.......

take notice of what the man with the big hose has told u....lol

Back