Fault With DM800SE From China (Turned on Then POP !!)

Pimpur Crack

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi,

I turned on a brand new DM800SE that I bought from China and as soon as I turned it on via the rear switch the boot info momentarily appeared in the OLED followed by a popping noise then all was dead. The PSU had the green light on before this happened but after the popping noise the PSU has no green light.

Would anyone know if this indicates a problem with the PSU only or is it likely to be both the DM800SE and the PSU, unfortunately I do not have another PSU to test it out?

If I can avoid having to send it back to China by spending a small amount to fix it I will do that as it will probably cost ~£30 to ship it back?

Any advice most appreciated.

Cdmt
Pimpi

I had the exact same problem with a new se clone , i bought a 3 amp power supply from ebay and all was well :)
Dreambox power supply 3 amp are about £8 delivered m8

New 12V 3.0A Power supply AC adapter for Dreambox 800 HD PVR 800S DM800C #800PS | eBay

IanB,

Thx for the feedback and the link.

It is definitely only the PSU as I found an old 12V / 1.5A adapter and that actually powers up the dm800se OK, I guess the power draw is less than 1.5A to boot up. I will get one of those PSU's from the link you provided just in case some operations exceed the output of the 1.5A adapter I got it to boot with.

Many thanks for your help.

NB: Just realised, you bought a brand new dm800se off me a couple of months ago when I had two left from a group buy. Was it that one that the PSU blew on as I think you PM'd me to say it was running OK just after you received it. There might have been a faulty batch of PSU units from the supplier?

Cdmt
Pimpi

Last edited:
IanB,

Thx for the feedback and the link.

It is definitely only the PSU as I found an old 12V / 1.5A adapter and that actually powers up the dm800se OK, I guess the power draw is less than 1.5A to boot up. I will get one of those PSU's from the link you provided just in case some operations exceed the output of the 1.5A adapter I got it to boot with.

Many thanks for your help.

NB: Just realised, you bought a brand new dm800se off me a couple of months ago when I had two left from a group buy. Was it that one that the PSU blew on as I think you PM'd me to say it was running OK just after you received it. There might have been a faulty batch of PSU units from the supplier?

Cdmt
Pimpi

Lol it was indeed mate . I didnt make the connection lol. Yes it did run for a couple of days but the psu got bloody hot. I set the box up and when i took it over to my daughters and connected it up the psu was dead. The box is running perfect mate. A nice easy and cheap fix tho :)

Lol it was indeed mate . I didnt make the connection lol. Yes it did run for a couple of days but the psu got bloody hot. I set the box up and when i took it over to my daughters and connected it up the psu was dead. The box is running perfect mate. A nice easy and cheap fix tho :)

OK, pleased the box itself is running OK for you, the clone dm800se is a nice receiver and I prefer it over the dm800, they run a lot quieter and cooler.

If only they made a twin tuner version....... :xmas:

Happy viewing.

Cdmt
Pimpi

Back