Falcon - Nand-x - Just shows Black Screen when Booting

dibbers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Guys,

Your probably sick to the back teeth of seeing me go through boxes! ha!

As some of you might know me mate decided that he'd give it a go him self, reading and writing the nands and the like, he's got a Falcon and has dumped the nand and he says that he's programmed the cool runner and then has it all soldered in, when he boots he just gets a black screen, He's got an AV cable attached and no DVD rom (not that it matters as all he gets is a flashing green light in the middle)

Any ideas on what he should be trying to do? looking to fix? the Coolrunner isn't showing a green LED just the red power one.

Thanks in advance.

26-01-201216-36-45.jpg

Last edited:
Hello man, yeah he has, I've told him to check the soldering and he said that the green wire on the bottom of the board isn't correct, he's got a buzz from the multimeter on the solder point(s). (he's testing it and reports are it's not good...) It is a hard one to solder like you got to be so precise with it....I'll see what he says and let you know mate.

Of course it won't work if it's arced.

He done everything fine so far and hasn't had a bad block like some!, after writing the ecc and then trying to boot is the problem, of course until that solder point is fixed there's no going forward yet.

Yeah the green wire point is fairly small to be honest m8
Hello man, yeah he has, I've told him to check the soldering and he said that the green wire on the bottom of the board isn't correct, he's got a buzz from the multimeter on the solder point(s). (he's testing it and reports are it's not good...) It is a hard one to solder like you got to be so precise with it....I'll see what he says and let you know mate.

Of course it won't work if it's arced.

He done everything fine so far and hasn't had a bad block like some!, after writing the ecc and then trying to boot is the problem, of course until that solder point is fixed there's no going forward yet.

And one you don't want to **** up as you can blow the input protection diode and it'll never work again (might have been your issue dibbers)

Even if you don't, the repair of cpu pll, bypass is a pain

Thanks Oggy, Dave mate, cheers, I shall tell him, as for mine? not sure, the bad nand read at the beginning wasn't a good start, my soldering was spot on (I think!)

he's tried, and your probably right, might be bust for good, another one bites the dust. How painful are they to repair? if he sends you it and sorts coin or is it that much of a pain that it's just worth binning and snapping the resistors off and blowing some capacitors up with a battery (not that any one should try this experiment as I have a proper laboratory environment with shatter proof glass and bullet proof screens..!)

Last edited:
Would be good if you could get some hi-res pictures of said point Dibbers

The repair isnt "to" bad, its just under the heatsink and not guaranteed to work (if the diode is shot)

Here's the heatsink point

H50Pwl.jpg

Then to the resistor next to cpu_pll_bypass

--------------

I'm happy to take a look at it if he isnt up to it.

---------------

Bad blocks are nirmal dibbers, they aret (in most cases) a user error

He's posted back.....after resoldering.

I turn the console on nothing comes up on screen its just black and says component (the tv channel) and it stays like that
meanwhile the red led on the cool runner is always solid.

The green led flashes really quickly goes off for 4-6 secs then comes back on flashing goes really bright and solid for 2-4secs

The green led just keeps doing them not always in that order.

The red led is meant to be solid Dibs and the green led flashes about every 5 secs until it glitches , he is powering on with the eject button? Positioning of the wires on the underside can have a big effect on the glitch

Last edited:
yeah sorry I know the red led needs to be like that all the time, my bad for posting that. i'll text him now and ask him about how he;s powering it on...Thanks mate.

ok guys, he says.....

Tried powering with the eject and the cool runner flashes green. but still no glitch.

least it's not going solid any more and it looks as though it's trying to glitch?

Has he tried moving the wires about on the underside of the mobo?
ok guys, he says.....

Tried powering with the eject and the cool runner flashes green. but still no glitch.

least it's not going solid any more and it looks as though it's trying to glitch?

Thanks mate its glitched, booted into xell. But its stuck on this screen now.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1327706286923.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1327706286923.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 12
Just the USB that's all that's plugged in. :-\ I've told him to try another USB key.

Remove the USB. It is not needed until he creates a freeboot image.

His next step is get CPU key, then make freeboot image.

Yeah he's done all that mate. Sorry I should have said that he has created it.

Back