external hard drive read only problem

BIG-HOL

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi guys, iv got a 500gb buffalo external hard drive, and over the last few days it has become read only, so i cant delete things or copy things to it, iv tried it in another laptop and it reads and writes fine and i was able to delete files from it, yet on my laptop i cannot do this, iv also got a 1tb external hard drive that can read and write fine its only the 500gb 1 that wont work.

anyone got any ideas how to fix this issue, cant even format it as it says read only.

the only things iv been messing with lately was android sdk program so i could install a custom rom on my new phone, and i followed some guides to stuff i didnt really understand, maybe iv done something while changing settings and things im really not sure. but from what i was following i wasnt changing anything for the hard drive.

any input on how to make this hard drive writeable again greatly appreciated!

Does it have any security/permissions, have you tried to take ownership of the files/folder?

right click>properties>security>advanced>owner

Hmm, Can you look in device manager on your laptop and have a look at the driver being used for the controller?

Also, what if you take ownership on the laptop/computer that can read/write and then set the permissions to everyone full control?

Last edited:
Capturesdfgh.JPG

it works fine on another pc just not my laptop lol, all seems to be ok from what i can see but obviously somethings wrong, iv copied over all the stuff on it now to another drive so would g parted get past this read only problem and format it for me, just an idea!

Also, what if you take ownership on the laptop/computer that can read/write and then set the permissions to everyone full control?
ill try that soon bud good thinking, just getting my tea then ill have a go of that!

but how come it works fine in my lasses laptop, reads and writes fine, surely it must be something iv done to my laptop to change something, lol, fook knows think ill reinstall windows anyway as its due a new setting up from scratch!

It's possible its the AHCI controller on your laptop, I was reading others with a similar issue on the AMD chipset

It's possible its the AHCI controller on your laptop, I was reading others with a similar issue on the AMD chipset
my other 2 external hard drives work fine though on this laptop, would this not affect them too, is it worth booting into bios and switching from ahci to ide!

Do you use them drives across all your devices, where they formatted/setup on your laptop before the others of vice versa?

When I say the controller, i mean drivers for it. You could try IDE just to rule it out?

no my devices are setup and used from this laptop only, although this 500gb has been getting used with my sumvision cyclone media player, but thats just used to play the files from the drive, nothing else, its not capable of changing settings and things on the drive, im at a total loss as iv never seen this or encountered this problem before, it seems to have happened since i installed the android development programs, maybe them have done something, thats all i can think really, or its pure coincidence, think im just gunna reinstall windows, as iv got all my files backed up so just a few programs to reinstall and setup my little tweaks again, think thats by best bet at this point like.

Don't do a re-install just yet, do a diskpart on the drive (back your data up first)
all datas backed up on on another drive so thats sorted, never used diskpart is that from cmd mate, if possible can you send me the right commands to go through, ill figure the rest out ie which drive and things!

run this from the command prompt:

Diskpart
list disk
select disk <where the drive is the number shown in the list>
clean

Last edited:
Back