expert help needed

digidude

Sheep worrier.
VIP Member
Reaction score
im trying to make an old 9100 into a 3 card server, it used to be my server running 2 cards with no problems using mgcamd 1.24 and newcs 1.20

ive just downloaded (via the download panel) mgcamd1.30a&newcs1.50, had to download them twice to get any sort of sense from the box, but newcs aint tunning

now if i telnet into my 7020 thats acting as a server for now, and type in ps i see newcs1.50 about 7 times and mgcamd about 5 times below it. if i telnet into the 9100 theres only 1 newcs1.50, then 2 other entries then 3 mgcamd entries, but after about 45 seconds this newcs entry disapeers

im still learning as im going along with these things, but am i overlooking something here as newcs aint running that i can see, no cards will clear, no http access to newcs c/p, nothing

cheers for looking

Last edited:
Hi mate, not sure I can help directly, but what sort of error messages are you getting if you start the servers from the command line? To help, there's various settings in the config files. For instance (at least for mgcamd, which is what I use), you can dump all the messages to a network socket, and there's probably various settings in the other cams and cs servers configs.

All this is based on cable (I'm not SAT enabled yet, but might have to be if we move :( ), but it should be the same.

On a side note, you may be interested in the 'top' command. It'll give you a realtime view of the processes on the system (better than ps for this sort of thing). Try 'top -d 1' and it'll update every second (default is every 2 seconds).

Good luck, and I hope this helps even if just a little.

when you say dump to a network socket, do you mean using hyperterminal to view everything, not just the boot sequence?

cheers m8

when you say dump to a network socket, do you mean using hyperterminal to view everything, not just the boot sequence?
No. I didn't really explain it, my bad. It's best to look at an example. In the mgcamd config file, there's a section like :
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Which means I've enabled logging through the network (with the 01). The other bit is the ip address of the logging machine, and the port you need to listen on. So on the listening machine (192.168.1.175 in my case), I set up a listening server that will capture the messages. Since I'm on linux, I just use netcat, aka nc. The command to set up the listener is 'nc -u -l 28007', meaning start netcat listening (-l) to udp (-u) port 28007.

You can get netcat for windows and it should work fine. Just make sure the firewall doesn't block the messages.

Anyway, I've no idea if it'll help, but it might be worth a try.

Good luck.

cheers m8, ill get the netcat for windows and try this over the weekend

dd

Back