EX7000 HD - First impressions.

Messa

Inactive User
Reaction score
Gorgeous looking box, smaller than my DBOX2 but still twice the size of some of the smaller ones I have seen (500c etc ).

Not as glossy as it appears in the pictures but still nice.

The front flap that you can just about see on the bottom right is a legacy of when the USB was on the front (pre production apparently) as all the slots behind it are blanked off.

On the rear you have 2 scart, HD, Cable in, Optical out, composite.

Installation was a breeze with initial setup completing in less than 5 mins, with everything found straight away.

PVR - I initially I plugged in a 2gb USB stick and it worked superb, recording and pausing live TV invisibly.
I then hooked up a 200gb external caddy but the box wouldnt recognise it. BUT I did a bit of googling and found the drive has to be formatted in FAT32 which I did and it now is working great, so I have a 200gb PVR !!

My first gripe is that the PVR menu only shows the channel name that was recorded ( with date time etc) but not the programme name, this could get akward after a few proggies have been saved.

The remote control is adequate, if a little confusing at first.

The menus are hideous after my DW DBOX2 image, I cannot see a way of creating Bouquets but I have not investigated in any depth so may be wrong.

Picture quality - This is a weird one. My TV is a 720p (semi) high deff so I set the digi box to 720p and wasn't impressed at all with the piccy, no better than my DBOX2. However when I set it to 1080 the picture went 100% better. I dunno why but it has (even the menues etc generated by the box itself not just the programs).

Overall I am impressed and don't think they will be around for long at the £169.99 I paid.
I have been doing a little reading and they hope that the first firmware update should iron out the few annoyances etc.

Sorry if this is a little disjointed but I am thinking as I type.

;)

Messa

Hi mate good review, i am also thinking of getting one.

How fast is it flicking through channels?

Also whats the EPG like? Are you able to upload any screen shots?

if only this box had a twin tuner then it would be perfect!!!

I will take screenies and post tonight pal.

Channel change is slightly delayed but apparently this is already addressed in the firmware release that is currently being developed.

EPG is quite good, you press once to get a current channel EPG and again for a 'day view' EPG.
You can also move forward/back by day as well which is nice.

With regard to my bouquets problem, I think after googling a bit more there may be a way of doing it, so will let you know.

:)

I totally agree about the twin tuners and I must admit that I bought this thinking I will upgrade as soon as one comes out. I honestly think that as these are shipped with 'full' firmware they won't be in stock for long, so anticipate getting a fair chunk of cash back if I have to sell in the future to upgrade.

Cheers mate.

Im also new to Eurovox so maybe a silly question, does the same firmware work for all regions or do I have to get a specific firmware for my region?

Thanks for telling us all about this box Messa, nice one. I look forward to those screenshots if you can do them. I'm getting very close to purchasing one now, based on your input! (No pressure... lol)

When you go through the EPG, is it pretty fast? i.e. faster than a very sloooow V+ box?

Also, what format are the saved programmes in on your added hard drive? Pleeeease tell me it's avi or similar!! :Smokin:

lol , no probs mate.

Wife is half way through 'Midsummer Murders' so I can't get at it right now sorry, and I am up early so off to bed. promise I will do the piccs tomorrow.

Its maybe a half second pause, similar to my Pace 'genuine' box but nothing too serious.

Not sure about the recording format, as soon as I can unplug I will check it on my PC.

The EPG is deffo not as good as my DW image but I am certain that is sorted with the upcoming FW update.

Sorry but it isn't just plug and play, it's got a good few glitches that need addressing such as cannot save favourotes, scanning is very much hit and miss, remote is tacky, channel change is soooo slow, plus a few more. This box was released before these probs have been sold, in my view knowingly.

Sorry but it isn't just plug and play, it's got a good few glitches that need addressing such as cannot save favourotes, scanning is very much hit and miss, remote is tacky, channel change is soooo slow, plus a few more. This box was released before these probs have been sold, in my view knowingly.

'Plug and play' refers to the fact that it came ready with latest firmware, I plugged it in, scanned and erm, played.

You do not have to change settings, install an ftp client, buy a crossover cable, flash an improved image etc etc.

The fact that it still has a few glitches because it is only the second firmware update is accepted by most people who are able to appreciate its potential.

Are you telling me that the very first image for your current box is the one you are still using ? Of course not, and that is because you updated to improve.

And to say the box isn't plug n play because you don't like the remote is somewhat bizarre.

Its not perfect but its on its way.

And going back to my first point it was a breeze to install, it was in fact, plug and play.

Messa

'Plug and play' refers to the fact that it came ready with latest firmware, I plugged it in, scanned and erm, played.

You do not have to change settings, install an ftp client, buy a crossover cable, flash an improved image etc etc.

The fact that it still has a few glitches because it is only the second firmware update is accepted by most people who are able to appreciate its potential.

Are you telling me that the very first image for your current box is the one you are still using ? Of course not, and that is because you updated to improve.

And to say the box isn't plug n play because you don't like the remote is somewhat bizarre.

And going back to my first point it was a breeze to install, it was in fact, plug and play.

Messa

Messa, spot on mate. i love my ex7000, yeah granted, does have small issues with favourites, false signal strength issues, but does exactly what it says on the tin....

i have said this before, but believe this box will be the benchmark for all other boxes. watch this space

so messa u dont do anything with the usb port, im looking for tuts on how to program one but cant find any

so messa u dont do anything with the usb port, im looking for tuts on how to program one but cant find any

Hi Pal, if you are using a USB card/stick then you literally plug it in and you will get a 'USB drive connected' message on screen and thats it, yer done !

I am using a 200gb caddy which wasn't recognised at first, but I then found out it had to be formatted to Fat32. Once that was done I plugged it in and was up and away.

Hope this helps,

Messa

Messa, can you tell us what file format are the recorded programmes saved in? Are they something we can use on a PC/Media Centre?

depending on where you bought your box, depends wether it were pre-flashed with the latest FW, there are 3 different revisions of FW out at the mo, both 8-1-2009, and 22-1-2009, should work fine for a CC channels, if it is the 2008 version, it will only detect FTA...

firmware, can be downloaded from the TCB.cc toolbar. just name the FW flash.tbn, place on the root of a formatted usb memory stick, put memory stick into box, power on, and will then auto install FW

then can scan as normal, but would recommend a power scan

let us all know how you get on

regards

Messa, can you tell us what file format are the recorded programmes saved in? Are they something we can use on a PC/Media Centre?

Hi Pal, the files are saved in the TRP format, I haven't yet figured out what this is yet but I have just used 'Super' to convert a saved file into MPEGII and the result was superb. I am still playing around with bitrates etc. to find the best results but an 11mb file converted to MPEGII 25fps/16:9/1152kbps video/224kbps audio resulted in a 5mb file, but was blocky.

Anyway the good news is that although the TRP files are not (unless I can find the right codec) playable natively through WMP they can be converted easily.

Messa

EDIT: Gspot says they are native MPEGII containers but I need to find what the required codecs are.

Last edited:
thought about gettin 1 but decided not to not enough hd channels at the mo to warrant buying 1 plus the fact vm are supposedly changing the encryption method so the wont be able to decrypt the channels anyway so will stick with the 5100pvr for the time being

try running the saved files in vlc media player

full hd should be 1080p

Great review tho m8

Messa

I think you dreamt all that messa, what a load of cr*p, go on techwatch anyone who's thinkin of buyin one and you'll read about all the glitches this box has, as I said it's been released too early and a new firmware update is long overdue. The box does have the potential of being good if someone gets their finger out their ar*e and irons out the probs.

I think you dreamt all that messa, what a load of cr*p, go on techwatch anyone who's thinkin of buyin one and you'll read about all the glitches this box has, as I said it's been released too early and a new firmware update is long overdue. The box does have the potential of being good if someone gets their finger out their ar*e and irons out the probs.

So which bit of what I said is 'crap' then, I would be grateful if you told me (only in your opinion of course) which bit I said is untrue?

Back