Emergency Tax code

mobad

Inactive User
Reaction score
For the past 4-5 months ive been on an emergency tax code at work (647L).
I sent them my P60 2-3 weeks back and they said they would ammend my tax code however my recent pay slip is still 647.

I am going to chase my agency up about this tomorrow but how do I claim a refund on the tax on the last few months?

hmmm so how do I claim the tax back they have over charged me?

ha ha 2or 3 weeks you need to slow down boy, last year i had some dealings with the tax man unfortunatly my companys head office is a couple of hundred miles away and hence the tax office is to. So everything was do by mail, if you phone they will not let you speak to the people who sort the actual tax or those that write to you. I found out that all tax offices stamp the mail when it arrives but it is unopened untill they get to your dated mail and most tax offices are 8 to 9 weeks behined the delived date, if your tax office is like mine then you will have at least 6 weeks before they even open your letter.

If you are paid via paye and dont have any strange claims for tax rebates then whats the beef ?

647L is the "normal" individual allowance.

According to the tax calculator I should be getting 7% more on my weekly income, hence the beef.

without you divulging any personal data why do you think you should be getting more ?

is it you think your tax code should be higher enabling you to earn more before paying tax ?
if so have you put in a claim ? if you have and its been accepted then you will in the fullness of time recieve a new tax code to reflect this and it will sort its self out at the next pay check.

if you tax code is correct 647L personal allowance with no further claim then if you think you pay is wrong its not the tax people you need to speak to but your payroll department.

If i remember correctly, you are umbrella company or limited company.
If you are umbrella then the umbrella company should be sorting this out and you will notice a different tax every month due to the "claims" you put in.

If you are limited, then in all honesty you need to get yourself a a good accountant.

If neither apply, and you are indeed on the 647 tax code, unless you were paying a different rate for a few months beforehand you don need to mke any changes, it will all right itself.

We'd all wish to pay a lot less tax or no tax at all but thats life im afraid.

Sorry guys I made a mistake.
I was on the BR tax code until the last 2 weeks.
I have seen my wages now improve however I need to claim my tax back from all the previous 4-5 months which I was on emergency tax code.

Can I only calim this back by the inland home revenue form?

If you were on BR and are now on a 'normal' tax code you will have already of had your rebate in the first pay on the correct code.

That'll be why it looks like you have had such an improvement. It will level out again now.

Doubt it, it wasnt a huge imporvement just by around 6-7%.
The company who I work for have advised I contact the tax office to get the rebate of the previous weeks.

Not 100% sure but BR is around 25% tax and depending on what 'normal' rate you are on it is around 22% so I bet you will of already had it.

I was on BR for 6 months and when they finally gave me a proper tax code I just paid a little bit of tax for that month.

Back