electrical genius needed

mentholflash01

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi all
i wonder if sumone will help with this problem https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/249400/
i just need help to try to find out wat the problem is i know i can replace the faulty part as long as i can isolate wich part is bad
ime still getting volt readings from all over the board and the power light flashes constant
it was a 10v power supply added to it not 12 but there doesent seem to be any physical signs of dammage i replaced 2 caps but this doesent seem to have made a difference and the ones i swapped out were from a modem and that fires up with old components put in it so i dont think it was them
just a point in the right direction will be a big help
big thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you checked the supply polarity that was plugged in?

I'm guessing damage to the regulators. Might just be one but they might be configured so that one won't start without the other being operational.

It might be one (or both) of the switching regulators (U15 and U16), ceramic capacitors C282 and C292 (larger ones near the inductors) will be across their outputs. Measure the voltage across these two capacitors and post.

What's the part numbers on them?

Last edited:
thanks for the reply mate
do i need to measure 282 and 292 with power to the board
and the part number to the 2 ic's are up6308ad ycf97v
allthou ive searched in google and it doesent bring anything up
thanks

hi mate
with power to the board they measure 00.2-7v it is constantly changing for 2 to 7 rising and dropping
does this mean owt
cheers

uPI Semiconductor Corp.

Says they have up to 6V input, I'll just look at those pictures again...

There doesn't seem to be any other regulation before them and the PCB legend suggests a 5V PSU.

Some Googling suggests a 5V PSU as well.

It is possible that something else on the board has been frazzled that stops the PSUs from starting up but I'd start with them (and make sure you've got the right mains PSU).

It says they have overvoltage protection so maybe they are just shutting down due to the input voltage. Can't see a datasheet on their site.

Last edited:
is it not just easier to buy a new router mate, cheap as chips these days man!

If he tries a 5V mains PSU there might be nowt wrong with it :).

thanks specter
any idea where i would get 2 of these from
it seems these are the first to go as sumone sent me a b4 and after pic of there router but mine shows no sighn of dammage not like these
big hol havent go that much money and ime guesing that these ic's wont cost the same as a router plus i learne a little along the way

i am using the right 1 now the wrong 1 was plugged in for less than 5 seconds b4 i shouted and started cryin
ime getting a flashing power light but get no respons from aethernet cable to pc

Have you tried a 5V wall-wart?

From what I've seen on Google, D-Link 615 use 5V external supply.

has your cousin got much money then, as it would seem it was his/her fault, if i had done that to a cousins router i would have offered to buy a new 1, hence saving you the bother of trying to fix it, but i understand about you learning which is always good to have the knowledge!

i even took the correct power lead with me but he had a netgear router that had gone down so i was just lending mine 2 him he just thought it was the same power lead as his other 1
i knew it was 5v so when the screamin and tears started he pulled it strait back out

he has no money either of work banned from driving or using machinery as he's just been found to have miniers desease dont know the ins and outs but he goes giddy a lot
hence the reason i felt sorry for him and lent him my router
but i do like to learn

Ah, so it flashes with a 5V supply in?

I can't see any of those regulators in the usual places, you might be better off asking the manufacturers for samples for your "company".

Ah, so it flashes with a 5V supply in?

I can't see any of those regulators in the usual places, you might be better off asking the manufacturers for samples for your "company".

hi mate do u think they might find it a bit sus a self employed conservatory fitter needin ic samples ;;ha ha

Got one of these routers myself their SH*T,

any way sorry about that, plug in the 5 volt, chances are you have already fried something but maybe not. Ive seen this problem before where the flashing light resulted in an erased flash.

But fear not, I thought I had bricked mine, but there is one other thing you can do. There is an emergency flash page on those routers, its seperate from the main page which you can't access any more.

What you gotta do is

Download the latest firmware from dlink site.

With the unit powered on, press and hold the reset button on back of unit for 30 seconds
Without releasing the reset button, unplug the unit and hold reset for another 30 seconds
Plug the unit back in STILL holding the reset button a final 30 seconds

Set your computer ip to 192.168.0.2

Open your web browser and get it ready to connect to 192.168.0.1.
Press and HOLD the reset button on the router and connect power. Hold the reset button for about 3~5 seconds, then release.
Connect the browser to http://192.168.0.1/ . The Emergency Room Updating Firmware screen should display.
Browse to and upload the dir615.bin image file. (firmware)
When you see the message "IMAGE UPLOAD SUCCESS", the flash will begin to be erased and re-written.
Use your browser to connect to the router at http://192.168.0.1/
The Dlink setup screen should load. If not, you did something wrong. Go back and try again.

As I said, if you have fried something then its game over, cheaper to buy a router, but if its bricked ie (flash erased) then this emergency back door will work 100 percent, I fixed mine this way.

hi mate
tred ya 30 second trick its definatly kn*ckered
somthings fried
cheers

Odd how the Flash can be corrupted due to a power fault. The Flash chip has a special unlock sequence to protect it against inadvertent writes.

these routers can be powered by a modified usb cable (these are 5v 1,2amp if i`m not mistaken) , sorry i cant help with the PCB if theres no immediate sign of damage your stuck try - testing i`m afraid.

but seriously can you not ring your ISP and tell them your router fried, they may give you a free replacement, and these routers cab be hadf for pennies on ebay.

and in my opinion they are a very good little router if you flash ddwrt on them , little slow but not bad at all.

Back